Maestro: What do I Need?

D

DeWire

Hello all,
I'm 17 yearsold and I am after a Maestro card so that i can buy things online without having to use my mams credit card and have to pay her back...

I was thinking about using 3v but with the surcharges and hassle I think it would be worth while just getting a Maestro.

So, I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have to be employed. Also, I found an old thread here on this site stating that Maestro cards cannot be used on websites internationally. Is this still the case?

Thanks ,
Dave

First of all, you need a bank account. Because of anti money laundering legislation, you'll need proof of identity and proof of address.

After that, you'll need to apply to the bank for a card and they will each have their own criteria. Opening a current account in the same branch as your parents would be a good start.

Think of it from their point of view. How can they be convinced that a teenager will have sufficient funds/income to cover purchases, and that you can be trusted to use the card responsibly, e.g. only spend what you know to be in your account. If you can cover off those types of question, then you're ready to apply for the card.

Cheers for this lads. I might head up to the bank today to pick one up!

Thanks again,
Dave

As far as I know you won't actually be able to buy things on-line with Maestro.

There's a previous thread where someone said that it can only be used for chip and PIN transactions.

Correct.

Chip and Pin only. I haven't tried it outside Ireland on swipe and sign yet.

It won't work online. That I am 100% positive on.

Back