Madrid

adm1

booked flight with aerlingus - for a long weekend with my husband in april. Any recommendations . hotels things to do etc?

Make sure its a direct (non stop) flight.

I booked with Aer Lingus Dublin to Madrid a few years ago. The flight was operated by Iberia. The plane landed in Barcelona and we were taken off the flight we saw others boarding the flight (for Madrid) as we waited in the departure lounge. We waited three hours for our flight to Madrid. The Iberia staff were rude, surly and unhelpful.

Like you it was a long weekend and the 3hours lost on the Friday night threw the whole trip off kilter.

aj

I had a great time in Madrid over Xmas. Stayed at the Petit Palace Ducal on Calle Hortaleza. A fantastic location, nice rooms, incredible breakfast and good value too. Just beside Gran Via for all the shops and easy access to all of the tourist attractions. As with all cities, be careful of your personal belongings when out and about. The hotel I mention has a free electronic safe in each room. Use it.

Spent a week in Madrid 18 months ago and loved every minute of it. If it's culture your after -- Royal Palace is excellent and worth a few hours. If you're into classical paintings ( mostly crucifictions by dutch/italian masters) check out the Prado. This did nothing for me but thought the modern stuff in the Reina Sofia gallery was amazing. Take the CD tour and get blown away by Picasso/Miro/Dali etc. Guernica is there and will bring a tear to your eye for sure.
For fun things - ramble about Park Reterio, have a beer and hire a row boat. Great shopping to be had around Puerto del Sol ( 2 covered streets full of it). Drink coffee in Plaza Mayor and watch the world go by. Best restaurant in town, according to the locals, is Taberna Maceira on Calle Huertas --- A brilliant Galician tapas bar. You'll eat/drink yourself for 2 hours for €20 each. Get there before 8pm for a seat.
Take a tour of the Bernabau or even better book some tickets and watch Zidane/Beckham in the flesh. It will be bullfighting season in April and the the one in Madrid is supposed to be a real spectacle. I know its a cultural event in Spain but couldn't bring myself to go.
Great day trips to Segovia/Avilia/Toledo if you have a free day. Three amazing historic towns , no more than 2 hours by train.

Hola,

Cant recommend any specific hotel, but if your hotel faces the street and you are a light sleeper be sure to ask for a room which faces the back - Madrid streets and traffic noise is very high and goes on all night.

Things to do :
- The three museums (Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen). The Prado is free on sundays. The Prado is huge, but the Thyssen is a more accessible size to while away an hour.
- Look around the old center from Puerta del Sol to Plaza Mayor and La Latina (tiny narrow streets) down to the Palacio. (watch out for pickpockets in Sol).
- visit the Palace and the Sabatini gardens nearby.
- There is an interesting egyptian temple called Templo de Debod - its about 5 mins from the palace, and from there, there is a lovely walk to Moncloa, along tree lined street, with plenty of cafes.
- Look around the snazzy Salamance district - its where Posh goes shopping! :)
- Take an open top bus tour - the company is called Madrid Vision, and the buses go from Sol. About 12e for the day, hop on and off. It really puts the city in perspective.
- go to the Bernabeu.
- Ramble around Retiro Park and have a glaass on wine in one of the outdoor cafes.
- A another nice walk to see the center of the city, is from the corner of retiro park, down to Cibeles plaza (check out the amazing post office building!), up Alcala, and down Gran Via to Plz Espana.
- there are millions of restaurants with cheap, good quality food. Many places have a Menu Del Dia, which has a 3 cours meal with glass of wine/beer and coffee for about 8eur.

Have a great trip!

Well ,well...As i'm from Madrid myself, I have to say I'm impressed with the recommendations people make. One thing I have to insist, even when it has been mentioned before, beware of the pickpockets, they're everywhere (I'm not racist, but lately the country, my lovely country, is full of non-nationals (mind you there is also nationals ) who are making our cities quite un safe, specially morocans, gypsies, etc) (Have nothing against people emigrating for genuine reasons)
If you go shopping, and you want to use your CC/ Laser, make sure you have an photo ID, because you will be asked to show it.
Can't recommend any hotel, because I have free accomodation every time I go there..:)
As for places to go, I have to recommend one of my favourite "Tapas" place: it's called "Bar Salamanca", it's quite close to the Plaza Mayor, in a street called "Cava Baja" next to a really famous restaurante (Bush's wife was there having lunch with our Queen in their visit to Madrid). Prices there are nothing compare with prices here (went there last december, and spend 18 euros on food and drinks).. Try to avoid turisty places, as you will be ripped off completely..In that same area, there is plenty of small tapas bars that open till about 2.30 am (they are being really strict with closing times in that area lately), but you will be able to find other places opening late than that. One nice night club in the area is called "Palacio de Gaviria", quite close to Sol. Not sure how it's like, haven't been there in a long time. Also, smoking ban was just introduced recently in Spain, but they can chose, and most small places will allow people to smoke, which can be annoying, as spanish people smoke a lot in general (Tobbacco companies are after reducing prices).
If you have time, go to Toledo, it's only an hour from Madrid, and there is trains almost every hour from Atocha (my heart sunk when I passed by there after March 11)
Public transport is quite good and quite cheap. You can get a 10 passes ticket (called MetroBus), that can be used by more than one person, and it's valid for both EMT buses (it's the public bus company) and the Metro for around 6.50 or something like that, otherwise, single tickets are 1.30 I think, but you will see that nobody pays single tickets as most of the people will have the Metrobus or the monthly pass. Bus stops will have information about where the bus is going and where is coming from and some will have info about how long for the bus to arrive!. Metro is quite similar to London, with colour coding, easy to use. Again, be really careful in the Metro, if people push you in the train, and there is not too full, they might be trying to rob your wallet. Also keep your handbag close and where you can see it.
I know the new airport terminal is going to open soon, and the Metro doesn't get there. If you take a taxi, be carefull, they might try to overcharge you. The new terminal is going to be connected by a suttle to the other 3 terminals, and in there there is the Metro.

Sorry if the post is too long, couldn't help. If you need more info, I will be happy to help you. Enjoy!!

Cati

do you know of any property deals around madrid at the moment?

Also your english is brilliant for a non national. Im in the learning phase with my spanish as my wife is from madrid.

Thanks

I had a great time in Madrid over Xmas. Stayed at the Petit Palace Ducal on Calle Hortaleza. A fantastic location, nice rooms, incredible breakfast and good value too. Just beside Gran Via for all the shops and easy access to all of the tourist attractions. As with all cities, be careful of your personal belongings when out and about. The hotel I mention has a free electronic safe in each room. Use it.

Did you have a set arrangement for your Christmas lunch? Where's the best place to go if you're actually spending Christmas Day? Are they booked very far in advance as they are here?

one thing i would recommend is getting a decent phrase book as the locals dont have much english. we survived on pigeon spanish between 6 of us. Alot of the local tapas bars will not have menus in english. i am sure if u eat in the touristy places they will all have english but i also would not recommend eating there.
I went to a madrid game and bought a ticket from a tout (the offical ticket office was closed), worked out well, we paid 50 euro for a seat 10 rows from the front. This was double the face value but we had no spanish to argue. if planning to go to a game, buy the tickets from the ticket office in advance or at least see if u can get a seating plan on the web so u know where the ticket is for. we relied on pot luck but it worked out ok for once!

Back