Mac- Upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

schmile

I am considering upgrading from Tiger OS to Leopard OS. Before I take the plunge and buy Leopard there are a few things I would like to know.

1. Can you just do an upgrade and keep all your files and programs intact. So I could just upgrade and then all my installed programs such as Indesign, Photoshop, Word etc would still be there without having to reinstall. And all my files would still be there, pictures in photo booth, mail in apple mail etc, events in iCal etc.
2. I haven't had a single problem with Tiger over the 18 months I have had my mac are there any problems that do come with Leopard.

My main reason for upgrading are applications like Time Machine I just don't want to loose data along the way.

Thanks.

Thanks Diziet. I'll check that site now. :D Anyone have any personal experience with upgrading?

Best to check the Adobe website and see if your version of Photoshop is compatible, some aren't! The "seemlessness" of the upgrade will depend on if you do a "clean" install or an "upgrade" install. I always do a clean install and accept the fact that I may need to reinstall some programs, upgrading the OS is a MAJOR deal and can cause issues. I've never had an upgrade corrupt any data but I've always had at least two backup copies in case it does.

If Time Machine is the only attraction then you'd be better buying a copy of some other backup software for less money. There's very little useable difference between Tiger and Leopard.

I did an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard about 12 months ago, and it worked fine for me. However, I would strongly suggest to make a backup of your files, and ensure you have installers for applications, just in case you have a problem.
You can go one step further, as I did, but it does take a bit of time:
1) Restore you system hard drive to an external drive (can be done with Disk Utility)
2) Make sure you can boot fromt he external drive
3) Upgrade your system HD
4) If there are any problems after upgrading you can still boot from the external drive to then start a clean install, and choose to import settings from another drive

Note that Time Machine is excellent, but you should really be using it with an external HD. It will work with a partition on the existing system drive, but this does not protect you against HW failure.

Thanks. Time Machine is one of the reasons but not the only reason for upgrading. I got Leopard for €80 so it gave me money to spare for a nice big hard drive which I do intend to use with it.
I have everything backed up so I am ready for it when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow)
I have checked with CS3 and there are no issues with any of my adobe products which I didn't think there would be just in case.

Back