M2 ICF & Rubber Slates for new build?

Tulach

Hi I have been reading this forum for a while and now that I have planning permission I thought I’d register. I’m hoping to build a 2,500sq ft L shaped Dormer, I’ll post plans up later if anyone is interested.

I work in IT but have a good range of experience in building trades from working with friends that are tradesmen and engineer’s. I have two area’s which I am currently researching, one been my main structure i.e. do I go with cavity block wall or ICF, I have seen a few ICF builds and the speed and strength of the build is very impressive, however to date I have had one major issue that is the external render, a leaf block is obviously the best solution but the cost is too much and it takes the speed of contruction back down to normal. So I have looked at the Acrylic plaster finishes which look good but are too expensive. So I then came across M2 Emmedue http://www.m2ireland.com/ which is a US technology which is now available in Ireland, the difference been their ICF blocks come with a steel mesh which allows for a spray on sand and cement finish I have seen sections of this at the RDS during the recent building expo and looked very good, I am waiting on a price from them and I was just wondering if anyone has used them or knows anyone who has?

The other area I’m looking at is Rubber slates which I saw recently on a house and swore were natural slates, they also come with a 50 year guarantee for colour and quality which is more than double that of Tegral Thrutone I have been looking at http://www.athyecoslate.com has anyone used them and anyone got an idea of price per slate?

Thanks​

Hi Tulach
I too have been looking at M2 and went to view a house that was being built by an engineer using their single panel system. It looked very impressive and the engineer himself was happy with it. The only concern I have with it is trying to get someone to do the "spray on" concrete. I have asked around and can't find any one that does it. The engineer that was building his own house actually bought his own pump (don't ask me how much but can't imagine its cheap). I may ask him for a price for spraying the concrete on if I do decide to go down that road. At the moment I'm still waiting on planning decision so still a bit off those decisions yet.
As regards the Slates our architect recomended the company you mention. He also said that they buy back any unused slates including breakages and off cuts as they can all be recycled again. Haven't heard a roofers opinion on them yet but maybe someone out there knows more..
Hope it helps.

craggel Thanks for the reply, I just assumed that M2 would be able to supply someone to plaster the exterior.

I have actually just talked to a Carpenter who done a learge roof with the rubber slates, he couldn't talk highly enough of the product, he said it was very strong and went on very easily, the only thing was he reckoned at 7" centre's you use quite a few more slates on a large roof so the intial cost could be high enough.

When I get a quote back from M2 I'll post it up. Cheers

Morning
M2 may be able to put you in touch with someone who can spray the concrete as they have built a number of houses around the Portarlington area using the system. However they probably used a construction company so may not be interested in a one off spray job. Incidently it may be worth your while if local enough to visit the factory in Portarlington. The guys working there are very accomodating and it's worth the effort to see the manafacturing process and gives you a chance to ask some questions.
As for the slates why does it not surprise me to see that the cost will be high. Put "eco" in front of anything and it adds €€€€. But at least it sounds like a good product. Will keep you updated if I find out anymore also.

Rgds
craggel

Hey guys
Don't know if this thread is still alive or not

I built a house in Athy last year with the M2 system and can highly recommend it. I am an engineer so had a good idea what I was doing. I may be the engineer that craggel met as I had a lot of interested visitors to site. I did not buy the spraying pump I hired it from a guy at reasonable rates. Also if anyone is thinking about this system I know a crew of guys who are experienced ( built circa 5 houses in this system ) and can put you in touch.

Re the eco slates I can tell you that I live 1/2 mile from the factory and I gave them serious consideration. I did not use them in the end because of the high price and also the 50 year guarantee is worthless because this company can go pop at any time and leave you with no comeback. They are not a large international brand that you can deopend on still being around in 20-50 years or even 2 years now that we have a big slow down in building.

best of luck to all of you, I am living happily ever etc. in my extremely warm M2 house

Reg

Badge55

gally,

i have ecostar slates on my new build, midnight grey, look fantastic, everyone comments on the expensive looking slates on the house. there have been a few hairy nights down here with wind but there incredibly strong, and are still on the roof. they don't work out that much dearer than your tegral or capco. I'm very happy with them!

Hi Badge55, just wondering, if it's not too much to ask, what were your approx building costs per square foot for the M2? We're looking at that system as well, building jut outside Port Laois.

Thanks.

Hi Badge55,

Do you currently work for or have any association with M2ireland?

SAS

Hi SAS

No I don't work for M2 Ireland - have my own business in Kildare

We did look at doing some work for them - building houses for people they sold product to - but it has not worked out at least not yet.

Reg

Badge55

Hi Badge55, just wondering, if it's not too much to ask, what were your approx building costs per square foot for the M2? We're looking at that system as well, building jut outside Port Laois.

Thanks.

#
Kaner

Difficult question for me to answer in any helpful fashion. My house is not typical. It is 3 storey in part and has a curved entrance area which was difficult and expensive to build. Also the roof was not straightforward.

My build costs excluding landscaping and geothermal heat pump were circa € 140 per sq foot. However I believe on a more straightforward build it could be done a little cheaper. Note that I did it by direct labour and minimised costs that way - I was lucky to be able to dedicate a lot of my own time to it.

If you are interested I would be happy to meet you at my place and talk more - in Portlaoise you are only 20 mins away. email badge5555@yahoo.co.uk if you like.

Reg

Badge55,

Which panel (and u-value) did you opt for?

SAS

SAS

I went for 220mm panel - forget the U value now

if I was doing it again I would go for at least a 300mm

Having said that I heard some talk over there that they might not be making panels to different thickness order any longer so check what is available.

Reg

thanks, i may take you up on that !!!!

Hi Badge55

By the sounds of it it was your house I went to see. Very impressive it was too. Did you get the winding steel stairs made up in the end?? Have you still got both arms and legs?

I might get those contacts off you if thats all right as I'm still planning on going down the M2 route.

And best of luck with the new house!!

Craggel

Craggel

Yep got the stairs in finally and all limbs intact

PM me if you need any info

Good luck

Badge55

hey joe, good to hear it, i was amazed how good they look, i have one friend that has them on 2 years now. ii havent seen them in grey thou,

Does n't M2 have its own site at Riverside in Portarlington, apartments and houses in the process of being built.