Lump sum investment

sole

Retiring soon and expect to have 50k to invest. Been approached by Cornmarket (with general advice and a suggestion of follow up). Anyone know or have dealt with them or perhaps suggestions of a good independent advisory. I know little of finance. I looked on Financial Regulators website for a financial advisory but I do not understand the different types.
sole

Hasten slowly. Be very careful investing in this country. There are enough threads on AAM to help an investor make an informed decision.

Try a as Cornmarket have been discussed a lot on Askaboutmoney.com before.

In my opinion, the best way to find a financial advisor is to ask a trusted friend or relative for a recommendation of someone they have personally dealt with. Recommendations from a website may well be genuine and Askaboutmoney is a fantastic source of information but recommendations could be posted by people recommending themselves or promoting friends anonymously, despite the best efforts of the AAM moderators to stamp out such practices.

(In case I'm accused of bias, for the benefit of those who aren't already aware, I'm a broker.)

If you pay attention to any one sentence in the whole of Askaboutmoney.com, let is be this one.

is this in relation to the performance of the companies here or the fear that an outside body needs to come in and sort us out therefore impose wealth taxes, take % of savings etc or because the fact they come in it will just kill confidence in irish companies?

Retiring soon and expect to have 50k to invest. Been approached by Cornmarket (with general advice and a suggestion of follow up). Anyone know or have dealt with them or perhaps suggestions of a good independent advisory. I know little of finance. I looked on Financial Regulators website for a financial advisory but I do not understand the different types.
sole

Sole, in reply to your question i won't comment on Cornmarket, however the main questions to ask when choosing a broker for lump sums are;
Are they
1)an Authorized advisor(meaning they hold agencies with multiple providers) and can provide you with advice on a broad range of Investments(funds,risk,term and charges) best suited to your situation.
or
2)a tied agent meaning they can only offer advice on one providers Investments.

After that all you need to worry about are the charges (entry, early encashment and annual management fee's)

Hope that Helps

Don't know much about Cornmarket. Safest to avoid product selling financial "advisers" and brokers who are driven by commisson and talk to a genuinely fee based authorised advisor (see below). Many authorised advisors talk the talk re not taking commissions but do in fact take commissions.

Be sure and diversify into a range of assets - including corporate and government bonds (short dated as public debt is exploding and long dated bonds will get murdered), gold bullion, international equities, property reits and cash.

Do not put all your eggs into any product or with any one life assurance company or bank. Do not put all your eggs in any one basket.

List of authorised advisors (some fee based - most not) is here [broken link removed]

Good luck in the shark infested waters. :)

DIVERSIFY

ps

Congratulations to Ask About Money on the 10 years.

Have enjoyed my financial/ investment debates on here. Confident that there will be more informed discussion about gold (the finite currency and safest form of money in the world) and less anti gold bias on Ask About Money's in the next 10 years.

Happy Birthday Ask About Money!
Well done Brendan - quite an achievement.

Back