Luggage Missing...Help please?

Lyndan

HI All,

I flew last week Dublin - Heathrow - Singapore and somewhere along the line one of my bags went missing!

We had 5 bags in total, 2 to go on the plane and 3 to ship with excess baggage company. When checking in the Aer Lingus guy was trying to be nice and said sure stick on of the 3 bags on here and save yourself some money!! Of course its that bag that has gone missing!

So here I am day 7 - I've been calling Sing Airlines everyday and all they tell me is that there was a big delay in Heathrow because of the terriorist attacks and that Heathrow are working through the backlog but are not giving them any information. I called Ireland baggage handling and they said the bag is not there - Im going to call back and ask for some kind of proof that bag was sent to Heathrow just in case.

Anyway has anyone any experience in this? Sing Airlines have given me a claim for to complete now that its been 7 days, Can I claim from the airline and from my travel insurance company?

Advice greatly appreciated,
Cheers

Lyndan,

I understand your frustration, anger and that you're probably very very upset.
The dublin the Heathrow route frequesntly 'misplaces' bags. It happened to me twice last year during the terrorist 'upsets'. and leaves you feeling totally lost!
I'm guessing that you flew Aer Lingus to Heathrow and then transfered airlines to Sing Airlines.
Aer Lingus are not very quick on passing your bags over to another airline and the truth is Sing Airlines have no idea where you bags are, last christmas when I called BA about my missing bags I got 4 different stories from 4 different employees. Heathrow also does not have enough baggage staff to manage an airport of that size and the number of bags that need to be transfered terminals.
When you arrived in Singapore and your bag was reported missing you should have recieved a claim number, ours was with Baggage Tracer.
Try calling the airport where you landed, they would be responsible for your bag when it arrives and dispatching it to you.
As for who to claim from, I believe that there was some sort of Montreal Convention about missing bags. Again when you recieved your claim number from the airline they should have also provided all of this information as well. Have you tried looking on the airline's website for what to do if your bag is lost?
I completely understand your frustration, especially as I remember you're taking a big leap moving to Singapore in the first place!

I wish you the very best of luck with your lost bag!

AD

Hi Lyndan, If you've got the Worldtracer (?) reference number (Would probably looks something like SINSQ12345) from the airline you should be able to look up your baggage file online (most airlines have online access for baggage tracing somewhere) ... having access to this would save you the hassle of calling every day anyway since whenever you call the agent is probably just looking this up.

You should definitely claim off the airline (they may not pay out fully after only 7 days since it's still quite likely your bag will turn up somwhere , but I'm sure they'll give you something for disruption... Singapore Airilnes are a pretty good and customer focused airline) ... any travel insurance claim you make would in principle deduct any compensation that you've already received/are entitled to receive from the airline)

Thanks for your advice everyone. I do have a tracking number and have been using it but unfortunately nothing has turned up yet. I started to call Singapore Airlines in UK and they say that the bag never turned up for transfer so they are contacting Aer Lingus for them to look into it. Dublin have said its not there so chances are its in Terminal 1 somewhere.

As its now been 2 full weeks I think its not coming back unfortunately!

Back