Luggage for Transatlantic Trip

Ash

All the restrictions on the number and size of luggage pieces as well as what you can and cannot bring on board is very bewildering for an infrequent air traveller.

Does anyone have the Idiot's Guide to packing for one adult travelling alone on American Airlines to Chicago and on to an internal US destination, staying for two weeks, not carrying skis, golf clubs, stroller, etc?

ubiquitous, thanks! I didn't know about that site.

Also, any travel insurance policies best for the US?

Limit for trans-Atlantic tends to be 2 pieces, up to 28 kg each. If your internal flights in the US are on the same ticket then that baggage allowance carries through for the internal flights. Otherwise check the airline's site for details of allowances/charges for baggage on domestic US flights. Take 2 bags and underfill rather than one full one because the excess baggage charges for overweight bags are pricey.

Annual insurance policies tend to be the best value. Ours is currently with ACE through AIB and we pay about 70 euro a year for worldwide cover for both of us (we have the private healthcare plan which is discounted because our health insurance gives us a certain level of cover abroad anyway).

For insurance to the US the main things to make sure you have are medical cover in excess of $2,000,000 and personal liability of at least $500,000 IMO

shesells, excellent, clear advice there. Will have to check what the luggage allowance is and number of bags allowed but good idea to underfill two rather than overfill one.
Will also take a close look at insurance cover details. Thank you.

so-crates, I loved your comment. And so, so true.

I always carry a change of clothes in my hand luggage (T-shirt, shorts/track suit etc) when I'm catching an connecting flight.
If luggage goes missing it inevetibly happens at the change-over

Enjoy