Low cost investment fund

Techhead1

Anyone got recommendations to lock away money for a long period of time in an investment fund?
I’m not looking at investing directly in shares or an etf.
Just want a low cost fund that tracks global markets.

Anyone got recommendations to lock away money for a long period of time in an investment fund?
I’m not looking at investing directly in shares or an etf.
Just want a low cost fund that tracks global markets.

What do you think the difference is between an investment fund and an ETF - I wonder just in case you're not clear what it is you might be willing to get into

The etf needs to be disposed(paid) every 7 years.. any way to avoid with a fund ?

Ok - is that "deemed disposal" factor not related to UCITS (a classification of EU regulated fund) rather than whether a fund is classified as "exchange traded" or not? Many non-ETF's are UCITS and possibly subject to the same treatment.

I think, to avoid that, you need to look at offshore funds - others on here have the details. There are other issues around offshore funds btw

It sounds like outside of a pension wrapper there is no point in Ireland due to charges. Etf are great but you have to pay the tax regardless every 7 yrs and I understand it’s 41%. I guess I have to just dollar cost avg some random stock picks and hope for the best ?

Yes IMO UCIT ETFs are not worth the hassle. Do you have any debt? Overpayments on mortgage would give tax free return of 2-4 percent, assuming you're not on tracker.

Back