love a "UNITED IRELAND" march

T

trekie

could anyone tell me who i would approach to seek permission to organise a ..." LOVE A UNITED IRELAND " march in the centre of Belfast. Suggestions please as to wether you i would get out alive

[Moderator's note: Frivolous/provocative post moved by to Letting Off Steam]

Submit Parades Commission [broken link removed] to a member of the PSNI not below the rank of sergent at the police station nearest the proposed starting point of the procession. You'll need to give 28 days notice.

Shouldn't the march be for catholic victims of loyalist terrorism to be the complement of the aborted Dublin march? Your chances of getting out alive are good as the PSNI have a lot of experience dealing with riots.

Is all this marching not aggravating the situation. If groups were to keep a low profile it might help stabilize things. Surely the main objective to keep the peace?

totally agree swallows. but marching in norn iron is a national sport. loyalists & chuckies parade all over the place just keep the pot boiling.

Ban all marches, North and South. While we are at it ban all flags and symbols of outdated nationalism as well.
I am a republican in that I think that a democratic republic is the best structure/ system of government but I dislike all forms of nationalism as I find that they are IMHO but a thin veneer over a much more basic tribalism.

They have a different calendar up there in the Occupied Territories:

January, February, March, March, March...........................

Purple said:
Ban all marches, North and South. While we are at it ban all flags and symbols of outdated nationalism as well.
I am a republican in that I think that a democratic republic is the best structure/ system of government but I dislike all forms of nationalism as I find that they are IMHO but a thin veneer over a much more basic tribalism.
Alternatively allow all marches and ban thugs/scangers like those causing the trouble last weekend.

Purple said:
While we are at it ban all flags and symbols of outdated nationalism as well.
Unfortunately it seems that belongingness is a basic human need. The need to belong to a family, a tribe, a nation, a football club supporters group. And we then show our allegience with badges of identity whether Mohican hairdos or wearing special jerseys. Which then automatically makes some people 'insiders' and others 'outsiders', or 'them & us'. The out-group are seen in stereotypical terms, while the in-group are seen as diverse. All Germans/Galwegians/Celtic supporters etc are stupid, evil, etc. All we can do is educate against the isms (racism, sexisms, jingoism etc)

Anyway, to return to the original topic, I wouldn't object to Uniting, if we could have the NHS here!

Next week, LIDL's offers include balaclavas and strong lager.

Do they know something about St. Patrick's Day that The Gardai don't ;) ?

Purple said:
Will my Bohs flags/scarves/emblems be safe from this draconian law though... :confused:

TarfHead said:
Next week, LIDL's offers include balaclavas and strong lager.

Do they know something about St. Patrick's Day that The Gardai don't ;) ?
Ha, ha! Classic. I thought you were joking until [broken link removed].

:D :D :D

The [broken link removed] could also come in handy in a riot situation. Or your average Paddy's Day shenanigans for that matter.

Gordanus said:
Unfortunately it seems that belongingness is a basic human need. The need to belong to a family, a tribe, a nation, a football club supporters group. And we then show our allegience with badges of identity whether Mohican hairdos or wearing special jerseys. Which then automatically makes some people 'insiders' and others 'outsiders', or 'them & us'. The out-group are seen in stereotypical terms, while the in-group are seen as diverse. All Germans/Galwegians/Celtic supporters etc are stupid, evil, etc. All we can do is educate against the isms (racism, sexisms, jingoism etc)

You're right of course, but it is very difficult to resist the urge of tribalism.
The world wouldn't be as interesting if we all agreed on everything provided people refrain from the isms.
When the 1916 commemoration comes up I'd like to see the innocent bystanders killed acknowledged too.
It would be far better if the start of independence was the major commemoration - more people could support
that from all sides.

I read the post above quickly and initially thought that it said...
When the 1916 commemoration comes up I'd like to see innocent bystanders killed
:eek:
I suppose it would make it a bit more authentic alright. Speaking of which ... as it happens my great aunt was killed in her home on Haddington Road by a stray bullet (not sure from which side) during the Rising...

ClubMan said:
Speaking of which ... as it happens my great aunt was killed in her home on Haddington Road by a stray bullet (not sure from which side) during the Rising...

My Great grandfather (a shopkeeper) was killed at the bottom of Parnell Sq East during 1916 by an "IRA" stray bullet fired from the rotunda that was aimed at a British soldier who had taken up a position in his shop.

It's interesting to hear such stories that are part of the history of individual families. On a related note two of my uncles served time in the British Army/RAF later on (c. 50s) so I'd probably be a legitimate target for some of the more rabid Republicans in this country.

Back