Louth v Meath replay?

Why should Louth GAA be punished if they are not members? Surely that's not fair?

Was it fair on the referee to be punched and shouldered as he tried to get off the pitch?
Was it fair on the steward to get hit with a bottle over the head on the sideline?
Was it fair that a former Meath manager is assualted by Louth fans after the game?
Was it fair that the Maeth players were assaulted on the pitch by Louth players when they offered to shake hands after the game?

Everyone keeps saying it was only a handful of Louth supporters that acted like thugs. From what i could see it was a lot more than a handful.

Louth should be thrown out of this years championship. I would say the same if my own county (Cork) behaved in the same manner.

It is only a matter of time before someone is killed at an inter-county GAA game. The same problems as Sunday could manifest at another game in Thurles, Pairc Ui Chaoimh or The Gaelic Grounds where there is even less stewarding than Croke Park.

For far too long the GAA has spoken about the amatuer ethos when it suits them. Its all about amatuer when it comes to paying out money (to stewards/players/referees etc..) but it is oh so professional when it comes to taking in money (gate receipts, TV rights, Sponsorship etc...)

http://www.independent.ie/national-...st-gaa-8364470000-in-three-years-1599619.html

GAA President is a former high ranking FAS official. The fact that the GAA voted in someone like this as their President says a lot about the organisation.

My opinion - GAA and organisational ability dont belong in the same sentence. Too much politics, stroke pulling and gombeenmanism tolerated in the organisation. Not surprising that attendances and membership are falling.

The GAA is a superb organisation not because of the top people but in spite of them. The issue is not the GAA in our communities who do a fine job to keep pitches playable and club houses lit and heated.

The issue here is just as The Banker has outlined. The central council and provincial boards portray an amateur ethos when it suits them but can then negotiate whopping big commercial deals as good as any of the pros.

The penny-pinching central committees and the provincial boards must take the safety of players, officials and fans more seriously and implement measures to stop people encroaching on the pitch.
They must also put aside their hunger for money and throw counties out of the championship when fans act violently.
God help us all but even the FAI could manage to have nets all the way around Croke Park to stop pitch invasions. And they are the most incompetent bunch of all!!!

I think Louth should be awarded the game as to me they were the actual winners. Meath officials should do the decent and honest thing and stand up and say we do not deserve this trophy, we did not win it fair and square, of course that won't be done as its grab all at any cost. The guy who threw the ball into the net was'nt man enough to say he was wrong.
What happened to the referee was deplorable but you cannot blame the Louth players for the actions of a few thugs.
Meath are only deluding themselves thinking they won this title.

Referees decision is final is generally accepted even though mistakes are often made. a bitter pill to swallow but such is life.

I know refs decision is final but in this situation ref admitted he made a mistake. I suppose if this happened to maybe Kerry or Tyrone we would'nt be as put out but the fact Louth have waited so long for this moment and to be taken from them in such a manner is so cruel.

At the end of the day, its only a game.

I am a passionate football fan, and have got very angry about refs decisions througout my life, but I have NEVER run on to a pitch to punch him.

Thats the difference.

If you think thats acceptable behaviour, or condone it, then there is something wrong in your head imho.

I find it incredible that so little mention has been made in the media about the gross incompetence of the umpires!!!

They were each approximately 4 metres from the incident. Hundreds of Louth supporters in the stand clearly saw what happened and the umpires didn't!

Should have gone to Specsavers, boys!

Yes the umpires were in a better position to see this than the ref and clearly they did see it as no flag was raised immediately.

AFAIK the ref picks his umpires...it seems that to be an umpire you need grey hair (I have that) be portly (yep that too) and be visually challenged !!

I have the full set...

Just looking at the umpires over the years and the goings on in Thurles and Croker, highlights the need to change these guys to be actual referees.

a lot of people seem to be missing the point...its ok to say that the ref made a mistake and move on ? But where is the solution to these controversial match-defining situations ? It doesn't matter whether its Louth or any other county.

Its only until the GAA do something (like the rugby TMO) that this would

- then take the spotlight from the ref
- prevent him from abuse
- seeing scenes like this repeated etc

I won't hold my breath though

Meath won the game through a (very) dubious decision but they still won the game. There are plenty of dubious decisions in plenty of games, why should this be any different ?

Because it happened in the last minute?
Because Louth hadn't won the title in 50 years?

Liam Hayes made similar points on with Matt Cooper this evening, Gianni.

He felt that, because it was Louth, who hadn't won the title in 50 years, we're thinking it's terrible and there should be a replay. And that if it was Meath or Dublin we'd be thinking, tough toe nails, it was a goal. Get over it!

Personally, I think it's a bit of a joke thinking that the Meath players or County Board should have to make the decision on whether or not there should be a replay.

The referee has now admitted in his report that it wasn't a goal and it shouldn't have been awarded. Surely it's up to the GAA to have a rule dealing with such situations instead of depending on the good will of the other team to offer a replay.

Anyone hear the Louth-Aid sketch on Gift this morning? Fantastic - try and get it if you can. Instead of "Do they know it's Christmas-time at alllll" it was "Why did he play extra time at alllll".

Lex made the same point as me - its up to the GAA to sort it out. Its more than just the refs mistake, the umpires too have to be held acountable as they were only yards away.

It doesn't matter which county is involved as these type of situations will keep occuring until the GAA does something about it. Which county will be next to feel aggrieved - then will they be told the same - ah its just the refs mistake and accept it ?

It simply cant continue. By the GAA doing nothing it solves nothing.

I don't think anyone is claiming that what happened to the ref was "regrettable but understanding". Of course it was wrong and the idiots who did it shoud be charged with assault and banned from going to any future games.

With regard to

The point has been made that the referees decision is final and and any mistake he makes is unfortunate and just one of those things. Well what about the fact that the GAA do now look back at games and retrospectively award yellow / red cards. eg Paul Galvin. If a referee can change his mind after viewing a replay of a certain incident involving a player committing a foul, then why can't he do likewise when a player scores an illegal goal?

Seems refs are the new bankers. Except they make mistakes which dent local pride and bragging rights rather than global economies.

It's unfortunate and can happen to any side at any time. The sustainablilty of the world isn't attached to the outcome of any sport, so you allow for human error whether it be player or ref. Utlimately though, you soak it up and move on.

I agree it is for the GAA to sort out, except every single official passed the buck down to the disgraceful situation where the Meath players had to decide. That's just pathetic and unfair to the players. The GAA should have just said immediately that there was no replay.

My only issue with video technology is that it is used in order to punish players after the event. The result of the game still stands, but the player is punished. The same should and could apply to refs in some way.

I'd be all for punishing Louth for their fans, even if it was only a handful, those scenes were a disgrace. However, it was the GAA who failed to control the crowd and who continue to fail to control the crowd rather than Louth. So any punishment should be proportional to that.

I don't think anyone is claiming that what happened to the ref was "regrettable but understanding". Of course it was wrong and the idiots who did it shoud be charged with assault and banned from going to any future games.

Louth midfielder Brian White blasted Sludden for his decision and called for him to quit refereeing.

White termed the awarding of the goal ‘a disgrace’, but doesn’t believe that Meath will offer to replay the match.

"I was about 25 or 30 yards out and I just saw him (Sheridan) rolling across the line with it. I saw the referee pointing out and I thought he was just giving a free out, which would have been the correct decision.

"I heard the referee got hit going off the field, we don’t like to see that either but he needs to have a good look at himself in the mirror and maybe just quit refereeing.

Thomas O Se in todays Irish Times

Without wishing to trivialise what happened, I couldn’t believe Martin Sludden stood there with his notebook out trying to book players after the final whistle.
If that was me I would have been well gone out the gap. It was time to head for the hills. The Garda might have ushered him along a little bit quicker if he’d known how things were about to pan out.

And

[broken link removed]

I think players can be done for incidents that the referee did not see, he did see the goal incident.