Lourdes Compensation Scheme

racso

Announced today that the patients of Doctor Micheal Neary are to be compensated by the State. Let me start by saying i fully agree these women deserve to be compensated for the absolute hell they must have/be going through.

I just wonder why it falls to the state to pay the compensation as surely this doctor had an insurance policy or the hospital that he worked for must have one?

As galling as it is, he was an employee of the State, and it was the State's ultimate responsiblity (via his direct superiors, hospital management, Health Board, Dept. of Health, Health Minister, Cabinet) to supervise him adequately.

As usual, the sloppiness and 'not my job' attitude prevalent in some sectors of the Public Service has resulted in the taxpayer forking out once more, and more regrettably, citizens being damaged by the very State which is there to protect them.

But wasn't there a big hoo-haa sometime ago, where there were issues that the Consultants had regarding insurance?

Surely it's in cases like this that insurance must be paid out rather than the state?

It was mentioned in one of the news reports that the government has said that they will be looking to the hospital and doctors insurance to cover some of the compensation.

I heard that. But it was also said that the dude in question didn't reckon that he'd done any wrong doing, so presumably he won't be claiming off his own insurance. Not sure how anyone else could claim. Presumably he'd have to be sued?

But again, on Newstalk this morning, was mention of the woman who did sue a few years ago and was thrown out of the Supreme Court when those sued appealed her High Court victory.

Says a lot for our Supreme Court. They even awarded damages to the government/health boards etc.

Isn't it the case that the State pays the malpractise insurance premia for hospital consultants. (Incidentally this covers both their public and private practises.)

Back