Loughrea to Ballinrobe

Haille

I am travelling to Ballinrobe in Co.Mayo starting at Loughrea, Co Galway .I was wondering which would be the best route to take.Travel to Galway city and on out via Headford or travel via Athenry ,on to Tuam. I would be leaving Loughrea approx 8.30.am Friday morning

Would go through Athenry myself. More direct and you avoid Claregalway's traffic. Even if not going via Athenry you would not go out the Headford road from Galway as you'd have to go through the city, you'd go to Claregalway from the second Oranmore roundabout you meet.

Athenry road to Tuam is the worst road in Ireland! Advise heading into Galway city, around the ring road and out the Headford rd. You would avoid Claregalway that way. More direct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Athenry to Tuam is a bad road alright but going through Galway to get to Headford road at 9:00am will add half an hour. I would avoid the city myself (either via Athenry or Claregalway).

Google Maps is useful for seeing routes, drag and drop the blue line to see alternatives.

Actually missed the time in the original post - yip avoid the city!! Take the bad road!

Back