Lotto Scam - where do they get the info?

I received a similar "windfall" from a spanish company for around 600K,I'm also preplexed as to how the address was gained as I'm not registered to vote,I'm ex directory etc but I have bought some digital cameras etc off Pixmania...I always allow them to email me with special offers etc...so this must be how they got those details....

but I have bought some digital cameras etc off Pixmania...I always allow them to email me with special offers etc...so this must be how they got those details....
This is a fairly serious allegation to make against a named company. To be honest, I think you would need very hard evidence to justify this claim.

PENNYPINCHER
im in the same boat as yourself, if only we could put in a claim against the post offoce or an post for harassment

PENNYPINCHER
im in the same boat as yourself, if only we could put in a claim against the post offoce or an post for harassment
How on earth could you hold An Post responsible? Do you expect them to open every letter and 'approve' the contents before they deliver to you?

Heard about this a couple of times before.

They couldn't figure out where details came from. I asked had they holidayed anytime before the letters arrived.

In both cases they had been in Spain. And they had handed over their passports overnight when checking in to their hotels.

OP — is your wife's passport in her married/maiden name?

P.S. Heard a girl in Mayo got done for nine grand a few months back.

I received a similar "windfall" from a spanish company for around 600K,I'm also preplexed as to how the address was gained as I'm not registered to vote,I'm ex directory etc but I have bought some digital cameras etc off Pixmania...I always allow them to email me with special offers etc...so this must be how they got those details....
On that basis you may as well accuse Brendan of spamming you just because you registered certain personal details with Askaboutmoney.

I think we are agreed on the status of the edited register but have some confusion on terminology. An opt-in mailing list is one that you must ask (opt) to be on (in). From your own link
it is assumed that you do not wish to receive direct marketing material.
i.e. the default is to opt-out, so the Edited Register is an opt-in list. In my vocabulary anyway ;)

I received the "Household Travel Survey 3rd Quarter 2006" from the CSO today. My name
was randomly selected from the 2004 Register of Electors for inclusion in this national survey.

So it seems it's ok for the Government to spam you, even if you're not on the Edited Register. And it's not even the first time I've been "randomly selected" for this survey! I estimate it would take me at least an hour to fill out, and even then I'd be guessing most of the answers, so I won't bother.

[broken link removed] Well, several, acksherley... I'll look forward to that call, if it comes!

[Warning: 'strong' language, from the start...:D]

I've been really lucky lately as I've won twice on this Spanish lottery:D .

I can't figure out where they got my address from either. The envelope is addressed Dublin Dublin Ireland...no postcode, which leads me to believe they didn't obtain it from the electoral register.:confused:

I eventually found out how these Spanish Lottery scammers got our address - the ONLINE eircom directory. It has a very unusual abbreviation of our address, exactly as used on the lottery letter. We are ex-directory (not in the printed book), but we are in the online one...

I eventually found out how these Spanish Lottery scammers got our address - the ONLINE eircom directory. It has a very unusual abbreviation of our address, exactly as used on the lottery letter. We are ex-directory (not in the printed book), but we are in the online one...

Do Eircon put your name into the online directory even when you wish to be ex directory in the published book ? Is there a separate procedure for keeping your details out of this ?

Where is the online directory to be found ?

Definitely the online phone directory so ....it contains an error in the house number for my entry which is duplicated on lottery scam envelope (i've got two of these this year)

Last edited:
I get left millone of dollars and euros on a daily basis! All from lovely people who simply want me to stand in as beneficiary to a will of someone who died either intestate or the intended sole beneficiary is also dead. All I have to do is reply to email and let them have details of my bank account.

I am too honest and will not pretend to be someone else!!!!

I got sample christmas cards from a well known charity to show to my friends and family,then return cash and orders to them.Envelope was hand written. I phoned and enquired where they got my name & address ( I'm ex directory) They explained Thom's Directory. Looked up thoms.ie and for €225 anyone can buy it. It lists businesses and residents on 12,285 streets in Dublin. If you open an A/c you can download it on line, it's available in your local library. Directories are available for other counties. This might not answer the O/P's questoin, but it is another means where you can be targeted for un-solicited mail.

I think you are correct Imperator and RainyDay, I got a lotto scam from Canada with my town district entered in the address, an address that I never personally use. I had only been in the house a year. It looks like it came from the register of electors. Anyway they stopped sending the scams when I sent back asking them to take the fee €30 from my winnings
Also be wary when entering competitions, they are phishing for details, some of the answers are ridiculously simple.
When you take out a credit card, you are signing to say that they can give your information to anyone associated with them or contracted to them.

Back