Lost Pigeon Help

Smashbox

Very strange question I have for you guys today! My parents have a pigeon in the rafters of a shed in their back garden. He will fly off for a while and then always come back. This is the fifth day he's been there.

He is tagged so is obviously lost.

I contacted the Irish Homing Union to see if they could help, but with it being both the weekend and a bank holiday I'm unsure if anyone will help in good time.

He's in great health, being fed very well and will be taken good care of until reunited with his owner.

Can anyone suggest who to contact over him? He is tagged, and the Tag Number is INFPA 10 08D 1001.

My parents live in County Roscommon, so no Pigeon clubs close by that I know of.

He could be from anywhere. With the pigeon races I think they are left off hundred or more miles away and they find their way home. Fantastic how they do it.

Perhaps he thinks he is doing very well in what he has decided is his new home! Don't feed him.

Padraig, we weren't going to, and they didn't for a few days, but my dad has ducklings in the shed and he began eating the oatmeal for them.

Smashbox did you go onto www.irishhomingunion.com Theres loads on there and a list of contacts. Maybe if you rang a few of them in other areas they would probably be able to hunt down the owner through the number.

Thanks Ash, thats the site where I looked alright, and emailed them.

The closest is a guy in Ballaghdereen, about 1.5 hours from my parents. Was hoping there would be an alternative before I called him.

Another site is www.racingpigeon.ie and theres a section for lost birds. I just saw it recommended by somebody on the Boards site. They said it was good in finding their owner also.

Going to check it out for you. Don't recognise that number, are you sure you've got that correct?

Do let him feed and leave out a bowl of water. Most of the time the pigeon will feed up and get himself right and be on his way. He most likely will not stay around for long.

He could be very valuable and his owners will welcome him back! Know somebody involved in Pigeon Racing who used to buy birds for up to €5K stg and sometimes they might not return! They could have got lost, caught by a hawk, or simply hit a wire. Chance you take.

Did you read the section on the Homing Union page about taking care of a lost bird.

Hope he gets home soon!

I visited loads of sites, and in the end got a number for a guy in the local SPCA. He said to rest him up, feed and water him well and then take him somewhere high and release him, so tonights the night!

Well he's gone. My niece and nephew are kinda devastated but he hasn't returned yet.

Hopefully he will be ok. Still no contact from the Homing Union so good job I didn't wait on them!

Back