lost passport Lanzorate

dewdrop

as afrequent visitor to Lanzorate i often wondered what would happen if at the last moment i could not locate my passport when departing for home. I know there are procedures in place but these would take time to implement.

I'm sure the person below would help:
Honorary Consul Lanzarote
Address:
Honorary Consul of Ireland
C/Ginés de Castro Alvarez 12, 3B
35500 Arrecife
Lanzarote
Telephone:
+34 928 815 262
Fax: +34 928 802 200 Email:
irlanda@consuladolanzarote.com
Opening Hours:
Mon - Fri: 09.00 - 14.00
Honorary Consul
Eileen Izquierdo Lawlor

I think dewdrops point was that they would miss the flight if they had to go to the Consulate.

Ok,you still have to contact the consulate as above,but read this also:
Losing your Irish passport abroad
If you are an Irish citizen currently living abroad, travelling or on holiday abroad and your Irish passport is lost/stolen/misplaced, you must contact your nearest Irish embassy or consulate immediately. You will be asked to confirm the loss in writing or, if you are applying for a new passport, to include the details in your passport application. (Applications for a new passport by those living in Northern Ireland or outside Ireland are made using form APS 2.) If you are currently in a country where there is no Irish representation, you may contact an embassy/consulate of another EU Member State who will contact the nearest Irish embassy on your behalf.

You must also get in touch with the local police and request a written statement that you have reported the loss of your passport. A member of the police authority in the country in which you are staying must witness this statement. You will require this to obtain an Emergency Travel Certificate (valid for one journey) or an Emergency Passport (valid for a restricted amount of time) from an Irish embassy/consulate.

Again, if you are currently in a country where there is no Irish representation, you may contact an embassy/consulate of another EU Member State. The embassy or consulate of another EU Member State cannot issue you with a replacement passport or an Emergency Travel Certificate . Instead they will get in touch with the nearest Irish embassy or consulate on your behalf, which will then get in touch with you. In some cases the embassy or consulate of another EU Member State may issue you with an EU Emergency Travel Document (ETD).

In certain circumstances, for example if you lose your passport abroad but will be returning on a single journey directly to Ireland, an Emergency Travel Certificate rather than a passport will be issued by the Irish embassy or Consulate. Emergency Travel Certificates are only valid for one journey. An Emergency Travel Certificate is not a passport; it is a document (about A5 size) that carries your photograph and a stamp from the embassy verifying your identity. Emergency Travel Certificates are generally issued very quickly (depending on the circumstances) and there is a small fee for this service (see "Rates" below).

To obtain an Emergency Travel Certificate you will require:

Two passport photographs
The police statement
Photographic identification if available
Evidence of travel plans
Most Irish Honorary Consuls do not issue passports and can only issue Emergency Travel Certificates.

If you have lost your passport and are travelling abroad on a multi-stop journey, where you will pass through more than one jurisdiction, you will require a new Irish passport. You must report the loss of your passport immediately to your nearest Irish embassy or Consulate. If there is no Irish embassy or consulate in the country where you are, contact an embassy of another EU Member State that will get in touch with the nearest Irish embassy on your behalf. An embassy of another EU Member State cannot issue you with a new Irish passport.

You will be required to get in touch with the local police and request a written statement that you have reported the loss of your passport. A member of the police authority in the country in which you are staying must witness this statement. It may be useful for you to carry a photocopy of your passport (data page) with you when travelling.

Good post Vandriver, very informative. I will have to print out and bring along with photos in future.

As a dual citizen I asked the Swiss authorities a similar question to which the response was:

"Sir, to loose two passports on the same trip would very careless!" (if it happens I think I'll visit the Irish embassy).

I have been meaning to scan a copy of my passport to my gmail/yahoo account. That way there is no need to carry a copy but it can be printed off if needed.

Back