Lost Job and not able to repay my personal loan

P

pete

As the title says I've lost my job a few months ago and I've moved to the UK to look for work. I've been finding it hard to find work over here until recently and I'm starting to get myself back on top of things here. Iv'e had to borrow some money from my parents to get by so far.

I do own a house with my ex partner in Dublin. We both get on really well and never fell out. I still pay half the mortgage (from some savings I have) and she pays the other half. My savings aren't much at all and since I've lost my job we've agreed to get in people in to rent out the 2 spare rooms to help me out. My savings along with the room rentals are just about covering my outgoings.

I also have a personal loan with about €12k left to repay and I don't think I can afford to keep repaying this loan and keep up my mortgage repayments.

We bought the house about 2.5 years ago and it is in negative equity so selling isn't an option for either of us.

What can happen to me if I can't keep up my personal loan repayments to the bank?
Can I be blacklisted or given a bad credit rating in the future?

Can the bank (AIB) do anything in regards to my house (mortgage is with First Active)?

I don't want to default on either my personal loan or fall behind in my mortgage repayments. I know if it comes to it I wouldn't be able to keep my my personal loan repayments as I the house is more important and it is also my ex's home. I don't want that put at risk.

Like I said I'm in London looking for work and being the time of year that it is, it's proving more difficult than I imagined (there isn't alot of work at what I'm qualified in and I'm too qualified to get a job working at something else) so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Once I get working here (which is looking like it could be happening soon) I'll be able to keep up payments on everything back home.

I'm just worried/concerned what might happen to me, my credit rating and my house if I can't repay my personal loan. I did try to search AAM but couldn't find anything that related to my situation.

Thanks for any advice.

Pete.

Pete,

Sorry to hear of your situation.

My advice would be to talk with AIB - explain your situation as you have here, and see can ye reach agreement on some sort of reduced payment level that you could afford and that they'll be happy with pending your situation improving.

Keep them appraised of progress or otherwise - I'd be hopeful they will be able to accomodate you in the short term.

Best wishes...

pjmn

Pete, my son is going through a similar situation. AIB have granted him a moratorium on his personal loan. He said they were a delight to deal with and non-judge mental. You need to write to the main AIB Bank Centre in Ballsbridge and address your request to the re-scheduling department.

Your mortgage will not be effected by your having problems with your personal loan.

I've sent you a pm.