Lost Bags Ryan Air

fishes1967

Hi

Last Friday night on a Ryanair flight a bag of ours was lost. As of today (Tues), it has still not appeared. On the phone calls they have stated that they are still trying to track it.

I have no travel insurance but expect that the airline will have to compensate if the bag is not found. Anybody got any ideas on the best next step?

Regards
Patrick

fishes hi,

I had the same experience with Ryanair some time back. Don't give up! Keep on contacting them. My strategy was that I phoned everyday - it was an answer service but I left a message. I wrote - everday giving details of the bag, the flight etc. I discovered a few interesting things along the way. If the bag is gone for more than 28 days it can be deemed permanently 'lost' and the airline will only compensate you a set price per kilo weight of the bag - you may need to check this in the small print - for me it would have been 200 euro which would not have replaced the contents. I also discovered that my travel insurance would not compensate as I was expected to have original receipts for the items and even then there was a 'ceiling' etc. - this may have changed since then.

Apparently all lost baggage for Ryanair if/when it does turn up is returned to Dubln Airport as the central hub. Ask if you can go and check the lost baggage area for yourself (maybe with current restrictions this might be a problem). Anyway I got clearance from Ryanair to go and look in their returned/lost luggage area in arrivals at the airport - after five weeks I wasn't expecting much - but there was my case! Intact with my business card attached with name, address + phone number. They said it had just arrived on a flight that morning....

..worth a try though. Hope it turns up for you as I know that I would have been furious to lose the contents of my luggage. Oh, and by the way apparently the luggage that does turn up after the 28 days and is not 'claimed' or cannot be returned is auctioned off!

good luck with the search.

fishes hi,

I also discovered that my travel insurance would not compensate as I was expected to have original receipts for the items and even then there was a 'ceiling' etc.

If insurance companies say this, you need to pressurize them more.
Last year, my suitcase was stolen in Naples. When sending in the insurance claim, I had very few receipts. The insurance company got back to me, looking for receipts, credit card statements, and proof of funds to have bought all the stuff in my luggage.

I wrote back, saying didnt have receipts (I dont keep receipts since they are normally only useful for one month after date of purchaes if you want to return the items), and that the purchaes were made in cash (since I dont like having large credit card bills).
Finally with a bit of pressure, they processed the claim.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. Still no sign of bags and I'm calling everyday and sending a detailed claim in writing.

One other quirk to this case. This bag (when added to our other two bage that were not lost) meant we had to pay an excess baggage charge of over €100.

I think that I am entitled to this back to as part of our claim.

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Regards, F