Losing deposits

Abbica

Hi, we paid a deposit of €450 for parquet flooring which was going to cost €2,500 in total but we decided against it, well we had no choice, due to being naive and not having the budget to spend on a parquet floor, hence going semi solid oak now. I rang up the man and he said it was my loss, I paid the deposit but at least I learned from my mistake but he may give it back to me if I made it worth his while like spend another €1,000!! Smiling through gritted teeth, I said I would ring him back, let him know. We don't have another €1,000 to spend but willing to spend a further €400 as I would rather spend a bit more on something we need than lose €450.

Can I get anyones advice and ask is he entitled to do that to us, make us spend more at his place otherwise we lose our money?? I don't think he will let us away with spending a further €400!!

I rang up the man and he said it was my loss
What was the agreement on paying the deposit?

Was there any timeframe agreed for the cancellation of the work during which time the deposit was refundable?

I'm guessing it was a non refundable deposit, so any offer to return this through putting more work through the guy is an offer of goodwill from the person. He could easily have said "You lose the deposit", but he's hoping to encourage more business through offering it back as part of a deal.

We basically said we would like to get his parquet, he said €450 deposit required, which as you say, was probably to hold it although he has 1,000's of metres of the stuff. Just let him know when we need it. He will assemble it up for us to collect. I had a feeling he had a leg up on us, but just say we offer the €400 extra to spend, which he will probably say no to, is that fair? Probably is, the mean old man!!

I had a feeling he had a leg up on us, but just say we offer the €400 extra to spend, which he will probably say no to, is that fair? Probably is, the mean old man!!
If you look at it from a financial point of view, he can keep €450 for doing nothing at all.... or he has offered to return the deposit if you go for ~€1000 of work. He would need a mark up of 45% just to break even on that without accounting for the time/cost of doing the work.... so he seems to have made a fair offer IMHO.

He's probably including the PR benefits of not having you upset and the hope of future business on your recommendation when looking at the figures involved.

In your position, I would keep looking to see if I could find any company Ts&Cs in relation to deposits. If it wasn't stated upfront that the deposit was non refundable, you might be able to negotiate to get it back.... but I would guess this isn't the case TBH. Other posters here on AAM might have more experience in such a case.

Thanks Satanta, I don't think I need to look further, I think you are right, it really is his decision whether he lets us away with the deposit on a further amount given to him. He didn't state that it wasn't refundable but that is really what a deposit is for at the end of it all, in case the sale falls through. Depends what mood he is in on the day I suppose. Think I will ring him on Friday evening ;)

Back