Los Angeles

C

cerberos

Where is the best place to stay for 4 days?
Santa Monica seems very expensive and I want to stay that side of LA
Want to do the B/hills, rodeo drive, santa monica, warner Brothers studio and relax after driving around grand canyon and vegas before heading hoime

Stayed in a hotel in Hollywood a few years back; good as location as any for LA. Problem is no matter where you stay you will need a car to get around as it is a huge sprawling city. I wouldn't get too hung up in staying in LA too long as there really is not a lot to it depsite what you may perceive from the movies, tv etc. 3 days would be about right; do try to get to Universal Studios it is well worth it; Hollywood Walk of Fame, Santa Monica/Venice Beach are other attractions as is Rodeo Drive in Beverley Hills.

Down around Redondo Beach is nice too and is less expensive than Santa Monica.

LA is very different to here as there is no real city centre, but some clusters of bars and shopping areas. Most of it is sprawling though, hence the need for a car! The freeways are an eye-opener! eep! So much traffic!

The closest thing to a town centre (bars restaurants, shops together, in walking distance etc) would be in Santa Monica, Malibu, Pasadena, Redondo and Newport Beach. Hollywood is ok, but be careful what part you're staying in - some parts are very dodgy!!

Have a look at tripadvisor.com - it'll weed out some of the dodgier spots and hotels, which LA has plenty of!!!

thx all - which is best place from which to access attractions - is Pasadena too far out?

Travel to santa Monica about 3-4 times a year and love it. I Know people that have stayed in West Hollywood and thought it was terrible - not the kind of LA they were looking for.

Santa Monica - Venice beach is a very relaxed envoirnment. Great for a 4 day stay. Venice beach is brilliant and the early morning market and stalls are great to walk by (on your way into SMonica Prominade to do some serious shopping) Breakfast at 6am on the strand watching surfers. is a good way to start the day. OR get surfing lessons yourself and get in there (good friends in ZJ Boards on main st will sort ya out) Main St SM is another great place for shops.

RedChariot is right LA is a huge sprawling city - But personally i think it's different if based near SM or beach area - less need to travel. Either way VIP tours operate to all the attractions - have done WB etc..very good day out BUT Bring sun screen!!!! Your hotel can organise all these for you and the bus usually picks you up outside.

If you go to Aerlingushotels.com they do discounted hotels. Anything from 3* for €400 for 5 nights up to €800 for the Marriot (on marina Del Ray)

Sorry just to add I've no association with AERlingus hotels.

Back