Los Angeles - Recommend location/hotel

Josey Wales

Hi,

Trying to plan a trip to Los Angeles. It is a big spread out city so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what are would be the best to stay in?

Or a recommendation for a nice hotel with a good location? We won't be able to drive over there so we have to keep that in mind when deciding where to stay.

Thanks.

Is it a budget hotel or luxury hotel you are looking for? LA was expensive for accomodation.

You should reconsider your decision not to drive in LA - its not a public transport friendly city, large distances to cover, and taxi's are very expensive relative to car hire.
Santa Monica would be a good location to base yourselves - plenty of budget hotels close to the beach with Third St Promenade (pedestrian street shopping, large mall and plently of resturaunts - sort of Covent Garden atmosphere) only three blocks away (that why its called Third St i guess !!).
Try hotels.com or cheaptickets.com for accommodation.

Santa Monica would be a good location to base yourselves - plenty of budget hotels close to the beach with Third St Promenade (pedestrian street shopping, large mall and plently of resturaunts - sort of Covent Garden atmosphere) only three blocks away (that why its called Third St i guess !!).
Try hotels.com or cheaptickets.com for accommodation.

Thanks for the info. It's funny I was thinking of the Santa Monica area.

I stayed in Hollywood in a place called the Metropolitan Hotel which is while is not luxurious but it is a really nice place. On one side you get a great view of Downtown LA and on the other side a good view of the Hollywood sign.

We paid $320 for 3 nights and this included 2 admission tickets to Universal Studios (worth about $46 each) so it was a pretty good deal.

Hollywood and LA in general are really not that great; it is kind of cool alright to see all the places you see on films but other than that there is not a lot to the city. Universal Studios is a must and so is Disneyland apparently (I wasn't there). Spend 3 days max in LA and spend your valuable holiday time more wisely in the national parks e.g. Death Valley and other cities (definitely would recommend San Francisco)

Hiring a car is the way to go alright; great for getting around. Don't be intimidated by the freeways in LA; they are easy to navigate but ensure that you plan your route and know your exits.

I would second Santa Monica, stayed there for about a month a while ago. Was a really nice area, beach & shops near by and easy to organise trips to elsewhere in LA. It took about an hour and a half to get from Santa Monica to the Greyhound bus station though on the local buses. Definitely not an easy city to navigate on public transport, would be better to hire a car if you want to visit lots of different places.
I thought Hollywood was grotty as was Venice Beach.

Thanks for all the advice.

LA is just one of the places we are going, San Francisco and Las Vegas are the others.

As for renting the a car, we can't as I don't have a full licence and my partner only has hers for a couple of weeks.

Back