los angeles or san francisco

joe sod

have booked 3 weeks holidays in september, but yet to book flights, wondering whether to book the flight to san francisco or los angeles, i intend visiting both anyway and maybe las vegas or san diego, los angeles would probably be more convenient for this, but something tells me i would like san francisco better, so maybe might spend most time there, the flights are only good value if i book a return flight to either city rather than two one way tickets to and from both cities, any ideas...

san fran is probably a nicer city to be honest but LA is very cool. six of one really, u will like both. san fran is usually too windy to enjoy the beach where as in LA you can hit venice beach

San Fran by a mile. LA is worth seeing and as mentioned above, there are some really cool parts but personally I am not mad on the place. I would actually live in San Francisco and I don't say that about many American cities.

San Fran by many miles. LA itself is a whole load of nothing, it's really not a nice city. The beaches and outskirts are nice but the city is grubby and has some very dodgy parts (including parts of the tourist hotspot Sunset Boulevard).

I would base myself in San Fran and look at using Jetblue or SouthWest to get budget flights if you want to travel South to San Diego or Orang County.

SAN FRAN by a million miles. There is loads to do and see there.
LA is very overrated and as other posters has said it is dodgy in many parts plus it is just so big that you need a car to get around as walking is not possible as it is so spread out.

Definitely San Fran.... a much nicer city, plenty to do and see. Take a drive over the Golden Gate and spend a day around Petaluma in the wine country its beautiful. Enjoy!

lucky you - will you be driving when you are there? We flew into LA stayed for 3 days drove to San Fran. stayed another few days then drove to Las Vegas (stopping over night on the way) stayed there a few days while there drove to see Hover Dam and Grand Cannon then drove to San Diego spend a very relaxing few days there before driving back to LA to fly home - a fantastic holiday. It might seem like alot of driving but when broken up and we always set off early in morning and drove for a few hours and the road system is so good there you dont notice the miles fly by and we did all that in 16 days so you can even be more relaxed having three weeks to do it.

what was san diego like. i have done that trip but skipped san diego, is it worth a visit?

I thought it was ok but the rest of the party loved it we traveled down to the mexican border and crossed in with car (should have parked car and walked over the border) but that's another story. My friend says it's her favourite place to visit - but I wouldn't go that far.

i intend visiting both anyway and maybe las vegas or san diego, los angeles would probably be more convenient for this
i flew to LA, seen LA for two days (which I thought was enough), headed then three weeks to San Diego and loved it. San Diego and Las Vegas is one way anyway, so head south! Went back then two years later, did a similar trip but stayed for rest two weeks in Mission Viejo - loved it again. CA south is what I love!

what was san diego like. i have done that trip but skipped san diego, is it worth a visit?
totally! you can't describe you have to see it. I always say, if I win the Lotto I'd buy a house in San Diego - thats how much I loved it there. Just a beautiful city if you ask me :)

dont get me started spursfan1234 :D
i may add that i just hit my 21st birthday when i went over the 1st time and so i was able to attend all the beach parties (pacific beach is the way to go :)), i took a surf course and just loved the beach community there, my friend (who I stayed with) lived near the Balboa Park which to me was one of the most beautiful, clean and historical (and art) parks I ever seen (used to go there regularly to have lunch) AND i visited an orange plantation (what a sight!) and San Diego Zoo (just amazing in size, animals, layout etc.) and i am not even mentioning the shopping options you have there. :cool: as said before, you just have to see it.

http://www.balboapark.org/
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/
http://www.pacificbeach.org/

I'm thinking of heading to the West Coast for a couple of weeks in early August. Thinking about flying into San Fran and leaving from San Diego after spending 5/6 days in each. Would you drive between the 2 cities and maybe stop off for a night along the way or just jump on a jet blue?

PCH is amazing!!

I love San Diego, a much more relaxed pace than the other big cities in California but still a happening place. The zoo is mesmerising!

Back