lop sided toilet seat, help.

priscilla

hi, I wonder if anyone can provide me with any insight into what's happening to my toilet seat. The toilet is a plain standard one about one and a half years old. I put the wooden seat on after we moved in but a few days later the seat gradually started moving to one side. Tightening the bolts had no effect and eventually the parts started wearing away and we replaced it with another one. I thought perhaps it was the way I fitted it so this time I got himself to do it but the same thing is happening all over again. My brother thinks maybe the 'holes' for the seat are not in alignment. Anyone got any ideas?.

I had a similar problem. I discovered that while bathing the kids my wife was sitting sideways on the toilet causing the seat to be pushed away from the bath. Also believe it or not, because most people are right handed they tend to lean to the left when....you know what I am getting at.

hi Froggie, thanks for the reply but I really don't think that's what's happening here. We're all right handed and the seat is also veering to the right. The rest of the bathroom is to the left so the tendancy for any of us to lean would be to the left and none our previous seats have done it and we also have another toilet that is fine. Interesting threory, thanks again, Priscilla.

Just out of curiosity is the toilet bowl in the middle of the bathroom or sitting close to a wall or bath/shower?

This is probably down to the actual quality of the replacement seat. Many of those timber seats from B&Q, Woodies etc are pretty cheap and you'll find the fittings are pretty light, flimsy and perhaps loose to begin with. Couple this with the fact that most WC pans have pretty oversize fixing holes in the "seat" and this is a recipe for movement of the seat and eventual failure of the seat.

the toilet is close to the wall opposite the shower, nutty nut. The toilet seats were cheap, one was got in a pound shop and the other in lidl but they looked the same to me as the ones you see in bathroom stores. Admittedly, I didn't look at the bolts and screws so perhaps I do need to spend a bit more on my next one. Funnily enough, the toilet seat upstairs is also cheap and it has no problem!.

I think its down to the angle of approach if you know what I mean. I've seen this happening in a couple of houses.

If my theory is right then the seat would be pushed more to wall side of the bowl

Back