Looking to buy a new computer - who should i buy from?

R

Rebrabuk

First of all i refuse to purchase from DELL, ive gone with them in the past and its been nothing but trouble from hardware faults and other issues. From my experience the hardware they offer isnt worth the glue they use to hold it together.

So id like to find out if theres any other providers to purchase from that might offer a similar purchasing system i.e customise the system yourself. Id much prefer to be able to customise different parts of it rather than buy something from a store primarily due to the fact id like to avoid dealing with staff comparable to PC World workers.

I have contemplated buying parts+case seperately myself and putting it together but i wouldnt trust putting it together myself, not enough experience(have taken apart a few of my previous dell comps and put em back together) and too many things to go wrong really.

Thanks a lot for all the links gonna have a look through them now.

Quite surprised that komplett do full systems never saw that before when using them, quite impressed by the amount of customisation they offer.

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo.

Motherboard went within a year-replaced under warranty.

Hard drive went within 3 years-I replaced it myself.

go with one of the cheaper apples.. mac mini or a small laptop... i mac is not bad value either.. and some deals to be had as well

Apple have a refurb store on their website which is cheaper. When you buying a Mac the hardware maybe the same but the Software isn't. Its better than Windows (depending on who you ask) which is why you'd pay extra.

You can be unlucky with any computer, but the majority of them are very similar.

looks good but way over priced for a normal user

Not if you compare like with like. ([broken link removed], ref2, or just go to the respective websites and compare). Yes there is no Apple laptop for 500E so if that's your budget then Apple is not for you. However don't try and say the Inspiron 1500 is the same as a MacBook.

And if you factor in the time you will spend setting up/ updating/running anti-spyware/virus & firewalls on Windows there is no comparsion. (but that's an argument for another post :)

Apple is a different product really despite the hardware being almost identical. Its a different user experience and you either buy into that or you don't.

US price comparisions are not relevent to Ireland as there is much bigger difference in cost in Ireland between a Apple and Dell for similar products. While the experience is different. Its not worth IMO paying twice or even three times as much for the same hardware. Especially if you are a compentant user, where AV issues are insignificant.

That said where the Apple products are a good or better match for what you are doing, and there isn't much of a price difference Apple are certainly nice computers with a nice OS. For some users they just get on better with the Mac UI that its worth paying a premium for the experience.

Its not worth IMO paying twice or even three times as much for the same hardware
If you are going to make claims like this you're going to have to back them up. Spec a computer on dell.ie with the same hardware as one of the MacBook or MacBookPros and post the price & specs here. Until then I don't believe you.

You can buy a mac mini for about 500 euro, and it's a great little machine, and the macbook laptops are about a thousand for a decent machine. For what you get, you're not comparing like with like - the mac hardware is amazing value for money.

First the excuses...

This was as close as I could get them. Apologies if I'd made some mistakes, let me know and I'll adjust accordingly. The difference between the 2.4 and 2.2 processor is about 430 inc vat (based on difference on Apple site). That not allowing that dells price for the 2.4 might be cheaper when it becomes an option. It also doesn't not allow that theres no Dell M1710 at the moment as Dell is in the middle of changing its entire model range, and that the far superior 7950GTX isn't available at the moment, or what ever its replacement wil be 8800GTX etc. Theres also no decent decent deals at the moment, Dell typicall has them every few weeks. Finally I priced a much better spec M1710 on the Dell outlet this morning for 1400+VAT but its gone now. I also had the option of a Blu-ray drive on the Dell. Buit it was an insane price.

Anyway after all those excuses the exact same hardware, (allowing €430 for 200mhz difference in CPU) but in less pretty box is The Dell machine is €590 cheaper. If you consider 200mhz not worth €430 then the Dell is €1020 cheaper. As you can't buy the 17" Apple with the 2.2

MacBook Pro
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)
MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display ( 1920 x 1200 resolution)
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

Eur 2,799.00 Inc Vat & Shipping

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 Processor (2.2GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache)
17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software Dual Layer

€ 1,779.12
Includes VAT & Shipping

...For what you get, you're not comparing like with like - the mac hardware is amazing value for money.

Yes I am. I could pick more examples given time. Though IMO theres more differences than simple hardware matching indicates. I don't think Mac and Dell are competing for the same users myself. They are different markets, even if the hardware is the same. If your are concerned about image, the Apple is the nicer machine, design is much better, and arguably has a nice OS and software bundle, remote etc. If all you care about is playing games, etc. Then the Dell is much cheaper for the same performance. (bar 200mhz)

Ah, but you're forgetting the mac comes with a light up keyboard, magnetic power supply cable, and the most tightly integrated OS/Hardware combo available :) (and the dell is very chunky :() )

Anyway after all those excuses the exact same hardware, (allowing €430 for 200mhz difference in CPU) but in less pretty box is The Dell machine is €590 cheaper.
I'm not sure what Dell model you compared ? Does the Dell have a built in camera, bluetooth, DVI output? And you upgraded the display on the Apple for 100E ?
Your initial claim:
Its not worth IMO paying twice or even three times as much for the same hardware
Last I checked 500E was not twice or three times 2grand?

Ah, but you're forgetting the mac comes with a light up keyboard, magnetic power supply cable, and the most tightly integrated OS/Hardware combo available :) (and the dell is very chunky :() )

I thought I did might that point in my following comment. I guess you have to ask is that worth €590 or €1020 extra. For the Mac market the answer is yes BTW.

I'm not sure what Dell model you compared ? Does the Dell have a built in camera, bluetooth, DVI output? And you upgraded the display on the Apple for 100E ?
Your initial claim:

Last I checked 500E was not twice or three times 2grand?

DVI and bluetooth yes. Camera no.
I upgraded the screen to get the specs closer.

I'm not too familiar with retail prices. I generally buy on the refurb or outlet looking for deals. It was the closest match on spec on retail I could get quickly. The other models in both ranges are more diverse in spec. I take the point the examples is not 2 or 3 times more expensive. I was exaggerating. But then €500 isn't €590 or €1020 either.

Back