Looking for Victorian Style Tile Stockists

randombloke

Hi there,
Have just moved into a victorian style house which we have renovated. The front garden path is just concrete style paving slabs and we would like to get the red/black diamond pattern tiles for this front path, similar to the original ones present in neighbouring houses. I was wondering if anyone knew where one might get these in dublin or surrounding areas.
Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the link, they are a little more elaborate than what we were looking for. What we want is just plain black and red squares set in a x pattern...

A friend of mine sourced his Victorian tiles - red and black also - in a salvage yard. Unfortunately he can't remember where (recommended by a landscaper at the time) but it might be worth calling around to see if any stock them.

Hi Randombloke,
The tiles you are looking for are called Encaustic Tiles. They are very expensive because the colour/design is the whole depth of the tile. This is why you still have pathways with the tiles as vibrant as the day they were laid, often over 100 years ago - nothing will erase the look of them. They are the clay equivalant of solid hardwood! Google Encaustic Tiles and you will find the info and suppliers. Be prepared for the price. However if you want to spend the money your great great grandchildren's children will be playing hopscotch on them!

Thanks for that,
Really would prefer to get them in ireland. Went to some places and saw 'original style' tiles, which were nice but very expensive. What we would really love to get are the original tiles in red and black but have been to some salvage yards and they are hard to find, easy to get red ones, difficult to get black!!.
Anyone know of any places i might try....?

Porcelain 4x4" tiles will meet your requirements- they're frost resistant, hard wearing and solid in colour. I've used them externally without any difficulty, adhesive and grout selection is important though. You'll often see these tiles used to good effect around bar counters, they are available in a good range of colours so potential does exist for design flair. "Wexman" is one brand I know of, there are many others.

Back