Looking for tax advice. Can't make contact with revenue.

TillyD

Hi all,

I feel like I am paying too much tax. I had issues a few weeks ago but the tax office said it was because my previous job was still active, it's now ceased. However, I still feel my tax rate is very high. Can anyone here help, as I can't get in touch with the tax via phone ( because of work & they are only on until 1pm) or through their enquires online.
I am in a new job 8 weeks.
My income is €421 per week.
PRSI paid €17
USC- Exempt for now (won't earn 13k this year)
Paying 183 tax per week???
It says my number of insurable weeks is 2?? I don't know why it isn't 8 if I am working 8 weeks.
My husband is on the higher tax rate and has must of my credits.

Does this sound right?

Thank you.

Last edited:
This sounds higher than you should by paying but it's hard to confirm without all the details.

Login to revenue online and see what your credits are for this job and for the previous job.

Maybe do same for your husband and report the numbers here.

How much earnings have you had this year before this job?

Thanks SPC,
My tax credit it is €1,650.00 (shared 50/50)

I was told on my last call to rev that they are keeping me on tax basis week 1, as they are not paying back any tax until the end of the year, which seems a little unfair.

I was earning around €1450 a month in my previous job and paying around €166 tax per month.
I wasn't working from March to Sept as my place of work closed during the lockdown and I had to claim for covid payments. My last call to the revenue said I won't get tax back if I overpaid until they figure out what I owe them due to covid payments.

Just seems so hard to make contact with Rev as they only work until 1pm and I'm not the best with the online system. I did place two online enquires but got no reply.

Last edited:
Possible Cause of Paying Extra Tax in Wages:- If you failed to submit details of your income in previous year(s) you'd be a certainty to be singled out. If you have not, then now is the time to do it online now and Revenue will contact you.

The following information is given with the little information available

Revenue have put you on a week one basis without allowing you any tax credits as you owe them tax on the covid payments.
Prior to covid did you share your tax credits with your husband?
Were your tax credits then transferred to your husband?
Did your husband get an increase in his take home salary shortly afterwards?
Your tax paid prior to covid seems to be on the low side unless you had more tax credits.
I would certainly ask why the number of insurable weeks is only 2.
Ask to speak to whoever goes the payroll they may be able to help.

Last edited:
Sounds like your tax credits are on a Week 1 basis. So when you get paid, you only get the tax credits that apply in that week. You want to move to a normal basis where you get the accumulative number of credits. Give the revenue a call and ask them to change it.

it is the busiest time of the year for them btw, so expect delays. Or see if you can do it on myaccount

Steven
[broken link removed]

My understanding of this is that you are not getting your credits because your husband is claiming them ? If that is the case get your tax back from him :). Unfortunately it is normal to wait until end of year to claim tax back especially this year because at the moment Covid payments are classed as income. Therefor they will lump all your income from 2020 together and base your tax owed on that figure.

Thank all,

To answer asdfg -

Prior to covid did you share your tax credits with your husband? Always shared tax credits and due to my low income, my husband has all of what he can take of my credits for years now.
Were your tax credits then transferred to your husband? My husband is claiming my credits but this has always been the case.
Did your husband get an increase in his take home salary shortly afterwards? No, he got a 20% cut in wages due to covid.
Your tax paid prior to covid seems to be on the low side unless you had more tax credits. No same amount of credits.
I would certainly ask why the number of insurable weeks is only 2 - will do if they ever answer my question online. I have an real issue making calls before 1pm.
Ask to speak to whoever goes the payroll they may be able to help - They told me to speak to revenue.

Thanks for your advise though.

Back