Looking for somewhere sunny in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreeTiger

Hoping to book a week in October somewhere hot enough to sunbathe. However, while I just want to relax for a week, the other half would like to be able to "do" things, he would probably be happy with some watersports and perhaps a bit of walking/sightseeing. We would both like to be able to eat in a couple of decent places.

Any recommendations?

Defo the Canaries, Try Lanzarote for unique scenery or Fuerteventura for long long beaches

Incidentally, while Lanzarote is known to be windy, October is the one month when it normally dies down almost completely.

sunbathe...watersports... be able to eat in a couple of decent places.

Fuerteventura ticks all these boxes - one of the windsurfing world hot spots BTW. Amazing beaches. Not a huge amount of sightseeing though.
Lanzarote is probably better in that respect.

Thanks for those tips, I think the Canaries seem to offer the most options.
Just wondering is it worth looking at the likes of Cyprus, Morocco, Tunisia or Egypt? And if it would be possible to rent a villa in any of them, hubby thinks it might be nice to have our own pool :)

Cyprus in November is heading into quiet season ( have a relative who runs a restaurant/bar & they close Nov-Mar ) Cant say about others you mentioned but prob cheaper than Canaries on accom. You could also try separate booking flights & a villa, since Aer Lingus flights will be on again to Lanzarote in November.

Aer Lingus resume their Agadir service in October. While there is not too much in Agadir, you could head onwards to Essouria which is a better choice to stay. Should have decent weather in October and can do day trip to Marrakech/Sahara/Atlas mountains

Morocco, Tunisia, Miami, Egypt..... Christ don't go to the canaries!!!

It all depends where you go in the Canaries. Steer clear of the cheap beer brigade, head for one of the more upmarket resorts and you can't beat it. i.e. don't grab a cheap bargain, research where your going.

Exactly Fred - an absolute universe of a difference between Playa des Ingles and La Gomera for example.

Check out the Fariones hotel in Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote. Worth the premium and on the beach. Appartments attached to the hotel are good too. It's good for a chill out break, not sure about sports. You should avoid the Oct bank hol break as school's out here and it will probably be busy w families. and more expensive.

if you go to the fariones hotel there is a diving centre nearby which will keep your husband happy all day!

if you go to the fariones hotel there is a diving centre nearby which will keep your husband happy all day!

Agree the Fariones is very good. They have a couple of bungalows on the ground that they have available too. If you are booking either the hotel/appartments/bungalow check that they are the seafront Fariones and not the other ones nearby with a very similar name.

If you are ready to splash a few bob I'd recommend the Princess Yaiza Hotel in Playa Blanca also on Lanzarote -Google it to find more info.

Last edited:
Thanks for those tips, I'd be very happy with a 4 or 5 star hotel in the Canaries (definitely not Playa del Ingles!); however hubby says he'd like to go somewhere different so I'm looking at Cyprus (but it seems to have a large proportion of retired visitors, so activities seem to target them, correct me if I'm wrong!) and also at Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt. From what I've read so far I gather All Inclusive there is to be avoided like the plague, and also some hotels seem to be out on their own which makes it difficult to go to restaurants without having to take a taxi.

It will be early October by the way, so no need to worry about half term break thank goodness.

Thanks for all the tips, and John Rambo, Madeira is somewhere I hadn't considered, will look it up thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back