Looking for something like Frontpage

hansov

Oh dear I'm getting old. My 10 and a half year-old son is learning to design a webpage :eek: and was taught using Microsoft Frontpage. Hence the request last night "Dad - I need M/S Frontpage" Are there any freeware programs out there that are like Frontpage that I could get for him? While I want to encourage him (and of course when he makes his millions he will look after his Dad in his old age :eek:) , I don't want to flog the house yet on (what could be) expensive software.

Slightly OT but a good story nonetheless: A further sign of my aging was later last night the 4year old came in crying because he had deleted a file :eek: from a memory card. The child still cannot read but is able to save his games at will!

Re: Looing for something like Frontpage

There's a HTML editor (called Composer) included with Seamonkey, the free all-in-one internet application suite. I've used it to manage a couple of websites and it has all the functionality I need - not sure how child friendly it is though...

Have a look on eBay for a second hand copy of Frontpage.

Ah but I'm a thrifty Dad ;) I'll try your suggestion DD. Apologies BTW for missing the 'k' in looking!

Thanks as always Clubman. It looks like 'Nvu' is the one I'm looking for.

For everybody else, it says:
"In reality Nvu is nothing new but rather a reworking of the old Netscape Composer. Composer was always a solid product and the revamp has lifted the product into another class. Here is an HTML editor and site manager that's easy enough for beginners to use but powerful enough to build large sites. It's closer in concept to Microsoft's FrontPage more than any other product but unlike FrontPage it, thankfully, produces standards compliant code."

I am sure that my child (the 10 year-old not the 4 y-old :D ) will be able to explain all this to me soon.

ClubMan said:
[broken link removed]

Check out page from Nonags.com.

There is a wide choice, all free to use. Basically pick one with 6/6 score.

BTW, NVU gets 6/6 :D

Back