Looking for rewarding career

B

Bored

Am presently working in accounts, just me in office, used to like my job am now 1o years there, and i am looking for something more, a career where you meet people, rewarding and everyday to be different. I have looked into maybe doing evening classes but nothing really to take my fancy. Any idea's. My hobbies are pratically non existant. I have a decent boss, which makes it hard to move on, i am basically stuck in a rut.

Any idea's.

Just a thought ... after 10 years you must know your company's business really well. And they must see you as a valuable employee, so they probably don't want to lose you.

Is this something you could raise with your boss? Are there other areas within the company that you could move into? If it's a small company, can you think of ways to grow the business? With the aim ultimately to hire somebody else to replace you in accounts...

Thanks for reply. No i work as secretary/accounts, there is no other area within company to move into. I tried to leave 5 years ago and my boss made me an offer i could not refuse. They wont employ anyone else in office, as i get the work done, he is not a tough boss, realise when it busy and knows i will get the accounts to him when i can.

developing your career

Sounds as if you have outgrown your present job but need the security (don't we all!) You don't mention what your educational background is but clearly you've already got "10 years in business".......so perhaps your firm would fund you for an MBA......or access trainings in that direction. This would stimulate and challenge you intellectually (1 day a week day release or whatever), benefit your present employer, and begin to build your career - either with the same outfit or elsewhere. They can only say "yes" or "no". All the best with it.

Marie

As for educational background, only did leaving cert and commercial course. Hadn't a clue of accounts, when got job, they just wanted secretary and i was gradually introduced to manual accounts. Now i am doing management accounts (never received training for this). Sometimes i get so fed up of numbers. I dong accounts everyday and not really understanding them atall, its just when someone might ask me to check P60 or how to calculate tax, i do have to stop and think, the computer has its advantages and disadvantages.

Read a book ?

I am bored with current job in IT too. Don't know if its ok to recommend on this site, apologies if its not, but a friend suggested I read "What Color is Your Parachute" by Richard N. Bolles.
I have literally just started it at the weekend. Its very US based but its an easy read and if nothing else its made me realise the stats of finding a job on the web are pretty low !
So maybe that book or similiar might be of some help.

Re: Read a book ?

It sounds like you're in a very small company and you're doing everything that your boss doesn't want to do....

Perhaps you could threaten to leave again, and stay if he offers you a share of the company (or a profit-share).

Perhaps he could hire a temp secretary/school-leaver/early retiree which would free you up to do a bit of tele-sales, sales, market research, haggling with suppliers, business development. Take your pick!

Or since your company is still small after 10 years, maybe your boss is doing something wrong. Find out what it is and set up your own company to fill that niche! Afterall, you probably know everyone in the business at this stage

Or since you seem to have mastered 'accounts', could you teach it or sell it for another company?

Sluice

Career

I think this question is very philisophical , people who are employees always reach peaks and troughs with their levels of motivation and selfworth.

I took the leap ouut of being an "employee" to an "employer" not easy but easier than i feared but certainly more easier than other people led me to believe , those people who are still employee's.
The only thing stopping you from doing what you want in this life is the fear of failure , but my philosophy is simple in that you are here to enjoy yourself and to do what you want , no use complaining when you are 75 and on your way out.......

Ten years of experience in excellent and i am sure that you have other valuable skills also , i suggest taking stock of your skills other company's might just appreciate you more.

Have a dream.

UCD have some very good Adult Education Classes. You could consider Psychology or similar, it might open new doors for you. I think you need to move gradually in another direction rather than dramatically in another direction. You need something new that will re-energise you and basically give you a lift. Have a dream and work towards making it a reality.

Re: Have a dream.

I've a friend in a similar enough situation. Well, similar in that he is bored. He's a qualified mech. eng. and I think he might feel a bit guilty about leaving his career path. I think he's happy enough to do it but the environment in which he does his job has resulted in him being diagnosed as depressed. So it's time off and time to review the situation.

One of the things I recommended was to visit a career guidance counsellor but I don't know of any.

Maybe somebody's been here before but I'm afraid I don't frequent this particular forum too much and the search facility is probably best removed at this stage. Maybe a sticky could be started for people who are after a career change and what steps they should proceed through (career guidance, evening classes, testmonies from before-and-after's).

Back