Looking for recommendation for good backpacker insurance.

Up Rovers

Anyone have a recommendation for a good backpacker insurer preferably with their Call Centre and Claims Dept based in Ireland.

Saw a recommendation elsewhere for accidentgeneral.ie Their Call Centre seems to be based in UK but Claims Dept is based in Meath. They appear to have good reviews generally and do a 2 year trip which is unusual.

Hi there. I got a year and half or two year insurance with Accident and General. Claims are a struggle but possible. Email replies are a bit problematic and can take up to a fortnight. However when I looked they were one of the only companies that would give insurance for over a year.

Last edited:
Claims are a struggle but possible. Email replies are a bit problematic and can take up to a fortnight. However when I looked they were one of the only companies that would give insurance for over a year.

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Would have to say would be worried about your reply.

What exactly does "Claims are a struggle" mean? A fortnight for a reply to an email is dreadful

The only claim I have completed took ages, the explanation given was that they must not have received the 5 or 6 emails I had sent from my gmail account. This seems odd given I never have problems with the email account. When I phoned and sent it at the same time by email they received it. The two week reply for an email mentioned above was another separate time (only last week). Generally I have found them quite slow to deal with claims.

I've insured with Ace for years. They are excellent to deal with, and are based in Ireland. I see they do backpackers cover. I did have a claim once, and it was settled promptly and efficiently.

[broken link removed]