Looking for noise reducing headset

sabre Man

I'm looking for a noise reducing headset for use on planes.

I will be mostly watching vodcasts so the volume of the recordings will vary.

I would like a headset that reduces the noise from the plane so I don't have to turn the volume up a lot to hear what's being said.

Finally, I would like a headset that's not ridiculously expensive. Hopefully that's not too much to ask.

It's for an iPod touch by the way. Sound quality isn't really important, but noise reduction and price is.

Check out Sennheiser PXC 250's, bought one last year because I travel quiet a bit for work, they are excellent quality, a little pricey but well worth it.

Bose have a great pair of Noise Cancelling Headphones. They are pricey, and it would really depend on how much you can spend and how much you will use them.

I also just seen this additional 'free' gift at the moment :

Complimentary iPod shuffle with every purchase of QuietComfort® headphones ordered by 31st December 2008

I have those Bose ones above (or very similar)
Got them on my last trip to the states along with a IPod Touch
They are great, very comfortable and a LOT cheaper if you can get them in the States.
Highly recommended for the long plane trips

Edit: yep those are the ones I have - they cost me $200 this time last year
Quite a price difference

You have a choice of noise cancelling which cancel the background noise using sound waves. These are usually bulky and need batterys. Bose are best of these but cost almost $300. There are cheaper versions but they do not work as well. The Sennheisor PX250 mentioned above are not as good as Bose but are about half the price so might be a good compromise.
Other choice is noise isolating headphones. These are earbud type headphones that work by blocking any backgound noise from getting into your ear. I have a set of these and find them very good. My ones are Shure SE110 (Shure are widely used by those in music industry at concerts etc to protect hearing) They cost $100 in US. Main advantages, are small size and cheap (relatively).
Before, I would have my ipod volume at 70-80% on flights. Now it is at about 10%. Try Google to get more reviews on each system.

Thanks for all the advice.

Unfortunately I find Bose a bit too pricey and I'm not too keen on earbuds as I quickly get tired of wearing them.

I've read good things about JVC HA-NC250 and Philips SBC HN110 but would like to try before I buy as I wear glasses and not all headsets are comfortable for people who wear glasses.

Back