Looking for nice area in France to go on holiday

Shooter

hi guys

i'm looking to go to france on hols. Will be taking the car. We will have a dog with us and we are looking for a nice area with lakes and mountains where there will be nice places for walks etc. And maybe somewhere that is dog friendly?? Any ideas???

Practically everywhere in France is dog friendly- they are mainly welcome in cafes/restaurants, scoop a poop bags every where etc.

Which port are you arriving at? Both Brittany and Normandy are gorgeous areas with loads of activities.

The further south you go, the better the weather is likely to be, depending on season.

hi vanilla. Think we will be taking the euro tunnel to calais. Only time i can go is the last 2 weeks of september. what would the weather be like then. i suppose we would have to go fairly south to get good weather then. I keep going looking to the alps area around Chamonix but its probably a lot of driving??

Not being funny but - if you have not done France before - just stick a pin in the map. The whole country is worth seeing, but not all at once as it is very big. I suggest starting with Normandy and Brittany. If you are bringing the dog, then I am sure you are familiar with the pet passport scheme. The dog's return journey cannot be less than 6 months from a significant immunisation as far as I know, but I am not too familiar with the scheme as I don't have a dog. Bon Vacances, Slim

hi, yeah have the passport sorted since last year. I know what you mean about sticking a pin in it, there are so many areas. would normandy or brittany have nice lake/mountain areas??. we would prefer this to beach areas

Shooter I can highly recommend both Brittany and the Chamonix area but the latter would be a huge trip to undertake by car (you'd be talking around 10 hours solid driving I'd say from Calais!). Brittany is more known for it's coastline from a landscape point of view, not sure there are that many mountains around. But there are some gorgeous little towns there and the people are lovely.

hi, yeah have the passport sorted since last year. I know what you mean about sticking a pin in it, there are so many areas. would normandy or brittany have nice lake/mountain areas??. we would prefer this to beach areas

Why not have a look at or Google a few areas, look at a few maps, that sort of thing?

Definitely worth going South (fly drive) and I'd highly recommend the stretch of the Med close to Beziers. Lots of smaller towns and resorts. Check out Valras Plage.

Back