Looking for material for awning

askew70

I am thinking about making up an awning to use above the paved area in the back of my house. I will put it up when I need a dry area outside to do things like cut wood, etc., and the rest of the time it'll live in the shed. Thanks to an older thread on here, I see that www.awnings.ie and www.omeracamping.com supply commercial awnings, but the prices (on the latter site only) are far more than I'd like to pay for something that'll only get used occasionally.

Does anyone know where I might find suitable waterproof, or water-resistant, material that I could use for this? The area that I'd like to cover is roughly about 2.5m deep by 6m long - I might go for a shorter length depending on cost of material, etc., but even the smallest suitable size (2.5m x 3m) will require a large piece of material. I had considered using something simple and cheap, like the sheets that you use to line the boot of a car, but I suspect they are not available in this kind of size (and sewing 2 sheets together won't help its ability to keep water off me and my tools!).

Thanks for any help.

Hi there, Have you looked at the tarpolines they sell in B and Q. I have a blue one that I use for covering a bike its about 8ft or so i think and its blue bought it for aout a tenner ages ago. worth a look, would be easy to sew a few together and they already have holes and rings in them for attaching to something

Hope thiss helps
Muffin

Thanks Muffinb. Is it waterproof, do you know, or does water get through if it pools on top?

Sewing pieces of material together will be a last resort, because I think I'll have problems waterproofing the join, but if the basic material itself is good enough (i.e. waterproof and robust) then it may be worth the effort.

Back