Health Insurance Looking for assistance. Want to keep similar cover but with a better 'Young Adult' Rate.. (Deadline Monday)

Temple

HI,
Hoping I can avail of some of the Health Insurance expertise on here, please.
2 adults (50) and 17 year old currently on Laya's Control 300 Create, with 19 year old on Laya's Inspire.
With remaining 'Child' also moving to 'Young Adult' category in a couple of months, I am trying to find a policy that offers similar cover i.e. qualifies for access to semi-private in the private hospital, and covers day today expenses without an excess, but with a Young Adult price better than Inspire's €610.04.
As usual it is impossible to find all available options using the HIA comparison tool.
Looking at VHI's PMI 07 10, which has more or less the same adult and child pricing, but their Young Adult is €415.67 - a sizeable saving for one, not to mention two.
This policy looks comparable to what I am currently on. (We don't foresee orthopaedic or ophthalmic requirements in the near future.)
Are there any other policies that you can recommend that offer similar benefits to what we have now -with a cheaper Young Adult price?
Also, it is very unlike me, but I just got a reminder e-mail that my insurance was up on February 1st, and I must pay by Monday to be covered, so I am desperately trying to make a call without time on my side.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks In Advance

Last edited:
Also, it is very unlike me, but I just got a reminder e-mail that my insurance was up on February 1st, and I must pay by Monday to be covered, so I am desperately trying to make a call without time on my side.
You can buy another two weeks for shopping around by taking cover anywhere and then cancelling it within the 14 day cooling off period if necessary at the risk of not being covered for that two weeks (but no risk of a break in cover for the purpose of serving waiting periods).
I seem to recall that somebody else here recently tried to cover a child with VHI while the parents were covered by another insurer and they couldn't do that either online or maybe at all. So it might be worth checking with VHI if they still cover "unaccompanied" children or if they have ceased that practice in case your search on that front is moot (assuming that you were considering that). As far as I know they were the only insurer who did this.
Temple said:
As usual it is impossible to find all available options using the HIA comparison tool.
I don't understand this. As far as I know the HIA website does list all plans and details. In fact, most people find that that's the problem as they end up overwhelmed with details and can't see the wood for the trees...

Last edited:
Thanks Clubman.

Just to clarify, I was not looking to cover the Young Adult with VHI while parents are covered by another insurer.
I mentioned moving to PMI 07 10 as it would cost the same for the child and adults, but the young adult pricing was better.

Re. not being able to find available options..by that I mean it cannot provide the answer to the question I am asking here, namely: Apart from PMI 07 10 with VHI, what are the other policies available that charge roughly the same for adult and child, but give a better Young Adult price, whilst still covering semi-private in the private hospitals and covering day to day expenses without an excess.

I moved our eldest from Laya to VHI and PMI07/10 was the plan I went with.

Laya wanted over 2k for his renewal as the plan that he was on (one they actively promote for kids) has no young adult discount. They made no effort to inform me of this in advance of the renewal either, and the plans they do have YA discounts on are poor value compared to VHI.

This Laya Young Adult scheme has the same hospital cover as Control Create 300.

Back