Looking for Architect: planning permission to Dublin Corporation for Extension

shipibo

A Chairde,

Have applied for planning permission to Dublin Corporation for Bedroom / Bathroom Extension on the back of my Mothers House, and they have said I need to get a Architect to certify the Foundations / Drainage / Building , and submit drawings.

Has anybody any experience of doing this, and can anyone recomend a good architect or architect technician who can perform the above ??
[broken link removed]

Re: Looking for Architect

I would recommend MTW Partnership in Malahide, tel: 8463505 for this, they do have a waiting list AFAIK but I think this is an indication of their good work. They're consulting engineers
Also on the Northside, Michael Mohan & Associates in Raheny, they're architects but I don't have their number to hand, sure it's in the phone book.
Towards the city centre, Grainne Mallon & Associates on Merrion Square, again architects.
Otherwise check out the directories on www.riai.ie or www.iei.ie

HTH

We found our architect through the Yellow Pages. Now, if only finding a builder was as effective .

Thanks M03,Tar,

Any ideas the type of money Architects charge for these plans ....

Slan / Ed

Not a clue I'm afraid because it really depends on how many times you need to go back and amend your plans & how detailed they are going to be. If I were you I'd ring around at least 3 and check out what their costs are. Always bear in mind that there is a possibility that your planning would be refused so be sure you employ someone with a good sound track record and proper qualifications that would be accepted by the bank in the case of a mortgage and draw down of stage payments.
Some would charge a percentage of the overall build cost, others flat fees. Personally speaking I would always go for the flat fee....

Once through the planning application process, we handed over a cheque for about €2500. After that it's a % of the project cost.

Thanks again M03, Tar,

Will ring around and get back with prices.

Any architect registered with the (www.riai.ie) has a schedule of fees. They will have set of fees for initial consultation / sketch design, planning / detailed drawings (usually once off) and (if you wish) overseeing of the building while in progress. The latter is usually a sliding scale fee, based on the capital value of the job (for example, it could be 5% for a small job, maybe 3% for a bigger one).

A previous poster posted the schedule previously - have a search back and see what it says.

Hi
What you describe should be bread and butter for a local architect tech or engineer. check local free newspapers and "phone interview" a few - it helps if you can get on with the person - what you are paying for is the ability to sign off the job from pov of building regs and preferably some professional indemnity cover - agree a fee up front and discuss, in as much detail as you can, what your requirements are - particularly if you want them to be heavily involved in site works - my advice would be to get as much written in black and white before hand so that you know what you want and he/she knows what you expect to be delivered.
M

Thanks Need2build,

have been ringin, around , RIAI will e-mail you a list of residential Architects if you call them , and request , but not all will do residential.

Another idea maybe to get the
'Agreement between Client & Architect for Domestic Work’

This lists out the Terms and Condition of the Agreement and has four work stages, indicating phased payments and gives some indication of the charges involved. It also has a briefing note to the Client. This can be sold for information purposes as a specimen copy for €4.61 and for use as an Agreement for €12.10.

You can get this from RIAI Bookshop.

Try - Andrej of A1 architects - he's Polish and cheap. Charged me 500 euros cash for plans and 1 section. 087 132 0994

Thanks Deirdra,

Will give him a ring , and get back to you...

I used an architect called Michael Curran a couple of years ago to look after a house for me in Dublin. It was built in a side garden and he did everything from scratch including planning permission, site inspections, stage payment certificates etc.He charged a flat fee as opposed to a percentage which he outlined from the start(2 or 3 other guys I talked to all wanted to charge a percentage).

I had gotten a recommendation for him from a friend who had also used him for an extension, again with no problems.

His number at the time was 086 6018658 and an email address mcdarchitects@eircom.net

Worth speaking to anyway as heis very easy to deal with.

Betty C

Got a quote this morning, minimum 2500, max around 5-7000; have to find out from Dublin Corpo what exactly I need and check it out.

May get Draughtsman to draw plans, get Architect to certify, and get Structural Engineers report seperately if possible.

Hi im a draughtsman.Ill draw the plans for you. Is it a two storey or a single storey extension? Where's the location?
Patrick