Laya Looking for advice on switching between Laya policies, please

Temple

I am another one seeking advice. I will try to give as much information as possible.
We are 2 adults and 2 children (17 & 15).
Currently the adults are on Control 600 Total because although the excess is huge, the level of hospital cover is excellent, as are the day to day expenses cover, and the price is very good for the level of cover.
The children are on Flex 125 Explore -simply because this policy offers the second child free.
The day to day expenses cover on the children's policy is worthless for me, as it has a large family excess -which we have yet to come anywhere near to, thankfully, and more importantly GP and routine dental are not covered at all.

With my youngest turning 16 in 4 months, both will no longer qualify for admission to a children's hospital.
I would therefore like to move them to a policy with the similar requirements as ours, namely the option of semi-private in the Mater Private and day to day expenses which have little or no excess, and cover GP and routine dental.

Like everyone else on here, I have spent hours on the HIA website trying to trawl through the hundreds of options.
The only problem I have with the adults policy is this huge excess I mentioned.
For that reason, I was looking at Inspire. It is €350 more for the 2 of us but the difference in excess is €450 less, should we ever need it -and the day to day expenses for dental and GP are better.
My first question is, is there a policy cheaper than Inspire which offers equivalent hospital and also day to day cover with little or no excess and GP and routine dental included?

For the children, in trying to get the best value similar cover, I was looking at switching them to the Control 600 Plus policy that we are on - again to avail of the high level hospital and day to day cover -as a €100 increase would cover both of them, but again there is this huge excess. My thinking behind taking the excess for them is that hopefully, they are less likely to need it?
So my second question is, is there is a policy which offers them similar hospital and day to day cover with a lesser excess for around the same cost?

Thank You In Advance

Last edited:
Hi Temple,

Firstly, there are no cheaper plans than Inspire with same cover.

Secondly, for the 2 children, the following options show whats available with good hospital cover and day to day benefit cover.
Control 450 Create @ 262 per child, has double the amount of day to day benefits compared to Control 600 Total @ 239pa.
The following link shows a few options for comparing;
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb,
Having spent days and days researching this, I have decided to switch the children to Control 450 Create to avail of the day to day benefit cover.
I had decided to switch the adults to Inspire. However on phoning Laya to make the switch, they informed me that Inspire had a €500 per night charge for the Mater Private should we ever require to stay there. A priority would be semi private access to The Mater Private, but €500 per night is massive. They also explained that if I switched to this policy and were to switch to one with a lower per night charge charge in the future, that this €500 per night charge would apply for 2 years etc. Having checked the hit website, this per night fee is mentioned. Is this your understanding?
Everything about this policy suits me,, the cost, the cover, the day to day expenses, but then the cover I wanted i.e. semi-private in the Mater Private is available only at a huge cost.
Now I am wondering if the plan I wanted to move away from because of the very high excess (Control 600 Total) might be the better option after all.
I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thanks as always

Hi Temple,

If the Mater Private hospital is important for you, well then Inspire plan is not a suitable plan to be on.
A nightly charge of 500 per night is too high.
Regarding Blackrock Clinic cover on this plan, this hospital does not pass the 500 euro per night charge onto the patient.
They waive this charge so its only the once off 150 excess that applies if you have a stay in the hospital.
http://cover.blackrock-clinic.ie/Home/Step4?FullyCovered=False&PlanId=1106&CompanyId=4

Mater Private also have a waiver list of procedures where they don't charge the shortfall amount but they don't specify
in detail what plans are included or what surgeries are covered. I'm not sure if a plan with a 500 shortfall per night would
be included. It would be a safer bet to go for a plan with a 175 to 200 shortfall per night.
The following plans are worth considering;
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Thanks for highlighting these details.
While Blackrock Clinic is very transparent with their information regarding cover on any plan, Mater Private is still a grey area regarding cover on
lower priced plans.

Regards, Snowyb

Back