Looking for advice on Investment or not

Edenbridge14

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 68

Annual gross income from employment or profession: €60,000
Annual gross income of spouse: 30,000 - pension - retired

Monthly take-home pay €3,800 (including 800 rent a room from Granny flat on side of family home)

Type of employment: Public Sector

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

Saving.

Rough estimate of value of home €500,000
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: €60,000
What interest rate are you paying? 0.9% tracker - BOI - 9 years

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc None

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? N/a

Savings and investments: €33,000 (Rainy Day Fund)

Do you have a pension scheme? Public Sector pension - last 5 years

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: 20 & 17

Life insurance: Death in service, 150,000 & mortgage protection.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

1. Should I surrender the tracker on family home and remortgage for 200,000 to purchase a second property?
This mortgage is 50% LTV so should get a preferential rate

The repayments on this mortgage of 200,000 over 20 years is approx 1100 a month.
In addition to this there is the rental income from the granny flat which is 800.
Collectively both rental incomes cal pay the mortgage off in the 20 years - any excess would be put straight into a pension pot which is tax free.

At the end of 20 years i have the 2nd property paid off - i can move into that and rent out the family home.

2. As the hubby is 68 i will be taking this mortgage out in both our names but obviously i am the main earner. He does have life insurance of 100k. But could this be a problem with his age in the proposed plan of remortgaging obove?

Any advice ?

May I ask what are you trying to achieve?
Good question - i'm looking to have a pension worth while.
I'm only in public sector 5 years. After speaking with my Pension crowd my lump sum is 3000 and pension is 500 a year. If i stay in public sector then this will not be fruitfull.
Prior to this i was a stay at home mum with part time work and returned to college getting a degree and a Masters etc.
By the same token this second property/investment could double up as an inheritance to my 2 kids and possibly a family home for one of them if needs be.

This sounds like a bad idea. If I understand correctly between this thread and your other thread, you want to remortgage your PPR so that you can purchase a second property for ~€150k with €12k rent.

Firstly, I don't believe any bank will allow you to remortgage your PPR for that purpose and secondly, you will not get your partners name on a 20yr mortgage at 68.

Even if you could get the mortgage in your name only, I still believe that you don't fully understand the numbers involved. I would suggest taking time to read many of the posts on AAM to understand whether it is profitable. On a €12k rental, you are probably making €4/5k net profit after tax. However you want to take out a mortgage of €200k at 2-3% interest. This is€4-6k interest so your investment is not profitable, if anything it is likely to cost you money.

I think you would be better advised to concentrate on purchasing notional service and/or making AVCs.

Sarenco's suggestion is probably your best option.

Last edited:
Have you checked if you can get mortgage approval?

You will put you savings towards the investment?

Is the such properties available to buy? And you would move in in twenty years?

I think the idea makes sense. If you can make it work financially. If when you retire you have the current house plus the granny flat rented out.

Have you checked if you can get mortgage approval?

You will put you savings towards the investment?

Is the such properties available to buy? And you would move in in twenty years?

I think the idea makes sense. If you can make it work financially. If when you retire you have the current house plus the granny flat rented out.

Mortgage application is with a broker - he seems to believe i can get it with dilosk

Yes - i found a property that is 150k for 2 bed with a garden in a lovely quiet area opposite a golf club on the coast

Long term Rental potential of 1200 per month - and as it has access to its own private beach could rent out in summer months at 750 - 1000 a week. The PPR is 3 miles from this property so i'm available for any queries too.

So would I be better then using savings to deposit 30% on this BTL property and borrowing 110k as a BTL in my own name rather than releasing the equity on the PPR ?

Then in 20 years, move into the beach side home, and rent out the family home as its 5 bed it would generate a higher income than 2 bed

Sounds good and yes borrow against the new property preferably.

You would need to decide to let long term or short term (per week). Even though higher rents in summer you could end up with it empty for the winter. Long term letting would mean less effort on the part of the landlord.

And then again if it's on the coast will there be demand for long term letting?

Are you holiday letting or not, you must decide. Yes to using your savings and yes to borrowing on the rental property. Rather than trying to pick your retirement home now, an impossible task, concentrate on what property gets you the most rental income.

The granny flat rent is tax free, and will not be added to the other rental for tax purposes. You may gain tax wise there if rental income is half your husbands as tax bands are better the older you are.

Your income on 60 k is 3 k a month, plus your husbands income, plus rental. Where does the money go, are you able to buy another pension etc as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
Are you holiday letting or not, you must decide. Yes to using your savings and yes to borrowing on the rental property. Rather than trying to pick your retirement home now, an impossible task, concentrate on what property gets you the most rental income.

The granny flat rent is tax free, and will not be added to the other rental for tax purposes. You may gain tax wise there if rental,income is half your husbands as tax bands are better the older you are.

Your income on 60 k is 3 k a month, plus your husbands income, plus rental. Where does the money go, are you able to buy another pension etc as others have mentioned.

Its only recently i've been promoted to that salary. Prior to this was on a lower wage. And when we came back from UK in 2003 hubby decided to stop working a age of 50 to look after the kids. So honestly the granny flat was a saving grace as it always paid the mortgage. Then in the later years of kids second level education we decided to put them in fee paying schools as they showed dedication and promise - eldest lad is now in medicine in UCD with the 2nd daughter now showing the same potential. So keeping all this going on one wage, with 2 cars is a lot. Hubby is only getting his pension in last few years and thats how we have the savings built up.

If i was to top up my pension with AVC's of 6000 a year will the children benefit if i don't live to see my pension ?? I'd hate to invest 60,000 over 10 years of a pension and not live to see it, or anyone to benefit from it apart from the shareholders

If i buy an investment property - that investment won't disappear if i die - if anything it gets paid off with life insurance policy

@mtk asked what you were trying to achieve earlier in the thread.

You answered that you were trying to ensure that you had a worthwhile pension.

Now you are concerned about maximising the legacy you leave to your kids.

Why?

They seem to be doing fine.

I would suggest you concentrate on boosting your pension entitlements and forget about re-mortgaging your family home to purchase a rental property.

If i was to top up my pension with AVC's of 6000 a year will the children benefit if i don't live to see my pension ?? I'd hate to invest 60,000 over 10 years of a pension and not live to see it, or anyone to benefit from it apart from the shareholders
So to make your childen richer you should live out your final years in poverty? Your son is going into a guaranted career, you and your husband have done everything to get them educated and you're now worried about what you will leave them. You are making your children reliant on the bank of mom and dad into adulthood? At what stage do you think it should be about letting them get on with it and concentating on having a nice life for you and your husband who is heading to his seventies.

Not sure why a child who has a medicine degree (or similar) is going to need or particularly benefit from an inheritance from you 30-40 years from now. Thinking about your pension/retirement makes sense, I'd recommend focusing on this exclusively rather than any inheritance implications.

As some one who is now able to pull out income from rent, and more to come in a couple of years I say go for it.

With respect Bronte, your situation is sounds very different and you appear to own your properties or at least have very high equity in them so yes you can protect the capital in case you 'pop your clogs' :D

The OP is not in that position. They don't know:
  • whether they will short term or long term let the property
  • what the rental potential is ( Both 1200pm Long term or 750 - 1000 a week short term sound extremely optimistic)
  • whether it is profitable (does not look likely as a 30% LTV BTL).
Right now, they don't have the 30% (plus purchase costs) anyway so their best approach would be to save for 12 months, do a little research and revisit when they have ~€60k on hand and then reconsider if it is sensible. Buying too soon costs you money.

The point OKGo was that was the position I was in when I started.

OP should go for it now, if crunching the numbers makes sense - that I did not wok out - as she will be getting too old for a mortgage.

OP should go for it now, if crunching the numbers makes sense - that I did not wok out - as she will be getting too old for a mortgage.
So you have advised the OP to "go for it" without considering the numbers?

Seriously?!

If you really are focused on getting a rental property, You should get crackin, as it will become more difficult for you as the years go by.

Your in a good position financially speaking, and you have found the property which meets your needs. Personally speaking, if it were me, Id opt for long term rental for the return of €1200. Short term lets will turn an enjoyable investment into a slog imo.

I started a few years before you, property was more affordable, and yet it wasn't easy I can tell you, but, Im glad I did. Apart from one episode in the UK, I have really enjoyed letting properties. Its not for everyone though, and only for the fact its draining to get past common sense to get a loan, Id be in the market again, its just not worth the headache.

You have security, (Public Service) if you can I would say go for it.

Pay of this loan as soon as is possible making out of course payments as a priority to this mortgage if and when possible. the sooner you have the deeds, the more enjoyable it becomes

A broker though will look at your position and no doubt will say your in a good position to obtain a mortgage, its the banks that will put you off this path, as, they will do everything they can to frustrate your goals. As i say , common sense will be in short supply there.

So you have advised the OP to "go for it" without considering the numbers?

Seriously?!
You're against propety investment are you not. So no matter what I post what difference. Why don't you post what her investing in her pension will give her back.

She hasn't given us concrete numbers, she has a deposit, she can get a mortgage, she can't figure out holiday or long term letting and is confusing the issue by trying to buy her final home. She can do better on the rent if she buys smart. That's what she's not seeing as she is clouding the issue. And to make matters worse it's turned from property investment for income into adult children's inheritence.

You're against propety investment are you not.
No Bronte, I'm not.
Why don't you post what her investing in her pension will give her back.
The OP works in the public sector. There's no mystery what purchasing notional service will achieve.
She hasn't given us concrete numbers, she has a deposit, she can get a mortgage, she can't figure out holiday or long term letting and is confusing the issue by trying to buy her final home. She can do better on the rent if she buys smart. That's what she's not seeing as she is clouding the issue. And to make matters worse it's turned from property investment for income into adult children's inheritence.
And yet you advised her to "go for it"!

Weird.

In fairness Sarenco, rightly or wrongly, you only ever advocate pensions, full stop. And, com,on, your property investment adverse. You know it, and I know it.

I say rightly and wrongly, as there are time when some folk are not in a position and should not go anywhere near an investment property, and they rightly should be steered away, but I’m glad I didn’t have that voice in my head when starting out on the property investment road.

If I ever saw a post of yours encouraging the paying down of a mortgage or investing in property, I’d write to Ripleys Believe it or not.

There are broader views out there. I quite happily do both. I have investment properties AND pay into a pension, and would encourage both roads to take.

Back