Looking for advice on getting building energy report.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
I'm not thinking of selling my thirty year old house but I am considering getting a building energy report done. From a leaflet issued in the newspapers yesterday by [broken link removed] it seems that anyone selling after 2009 will need one of these reports.

I'm just wondering if anyone has already had one done and was it of benefit for general advice on improving energy savings around the house?

As the article said, it is not required until 2009 at the earliest! So why worry about it now... I understand professionals have been trained to carry our BER assessments for new builds only. Also the SEI would have to approve training for other building types such as your own. In expect this has not yet happened and will be likely during mid 2008.

Thanks for reply. Wanted if possible to get there before these inspectors get too busy. Will hold off and see how the whole process goes.

Banking2006 is correct.... the auditors to date are only trained to assess new buildings, a follow-on course will have to be done to be qualified to assess existing buildings.

regarding your question...
The BER rating you will get done is not designed to be advisory. You may be able to engage the assessor to do a preliminary rating, then advise on energy saving issues, and then do a BER rating after these issues are resolved..... but generally the assessors are to be considered licensed agents of the government and not employees of a client....

Back