Looking for a Wall Phone to hide Ugly Phone Socket in Kitchen

nolo77

Hi all, Hope someone solve my dilemma. Anyone remember the old eircom, no,Imean, telecom phones. They were very square in shape and came in mainly in a dull mustard colour. I think there was an off-white also. Were they named Shannon or Corrib?? Anyway we got one about 15 years ago and had to buy stainless steel bracket/socket thing with it to mount it on our kitchen wall. And it snapped onto this. We've had several phones since which we had to mount beside this socket, because, of course, they wouldn't fit onto it. I'm sick of looking at this bit of steel 3.5" wide by 4" high half way up my kitchen wall. Hubby won't touch it as everytime he interferes with a phone socket, we end up phoning eircom to undo whatever he's done! We've just put in a new kitchen and the final touch is to find a phone that will hang over this plate and hide it, as this is our only kitchen phone socket and I need a phone in the kitchen. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Why not have cordless phones. Only the base station needs to be plugged into a phone socket and just plug the additional phones into power sockets. (I am assuming that you have more phone sockets than the one in the kitchen.)

Thanks for the advice, BillK. Have tried that but with two teenagers in the house the handset is never where it is supposed to be. And by the time I reach the other 'corded phone' in my office/spare room, the caller has usually hung up. Bottom line, I need a phone in the kitchen.

The bottom line here is that you have to have a socket to plug the phone into.
One thing you could do is take off the "ugly" one and replace with a standard small (usually brown, cream) phone socket which you can buy in any hardware, electrical shop. You could mount your wall phone beside this socket and it shouldnt look to unsightly.
If the house was pre-wired for phone sockets it might be possible that there is a flush-box fitted ( like for an electrical outlet) behind the "mr. ugly". If this is the case, your new socket should fit into this box allowing you to mount a phone over it hiding the lot !!

Thanks Dave. Will look into that. I have had previous phones mounted on screws next to this eyesore. Not very attractive, especially as there has always been about 18 inches of phone cord dangling down my wall. Anyone know if it is easy for a non-technical person like me to make up a cord to a set length - say - I dunno - maybe 6-8 inches. I have acquired a tool, I think it's called a crimpers?

very simple job to make up a cord - the hard part is getting your hands on the crimping tool and the plugs ! One size for line cord, smaller size for handset cord. In any case, if you didnt have these, i'm sure your local electrical wholesaler / computer shop would do you a favour !
Its a two minute job (literally)

Back