Looking for a very small kennel for a very small dog!

B

Blueberry08

We want to buy a very small kennel for a very, very small dog as a present (long story) and the best (and cheapest) we can find so far is this one from . Any dog people out there? Does this one look okay? It's E63 and I definitely don't want to pay more than that.....less would be better!

The dog sleeps indoors at night but he's outside during the day and the owner wants him to have some waterproof shelter when he's in the garden.

Does this look like a good option? I'd prefer to get a smaller one, so the very small dog won't get lost in it (!), but I can't find one!

Thanks.

Edit: Or what about this one?

I would go for the first one - the resin type. Easier to clean if needed.

The wooden ones look lovely but you need to treat them every so often to keep the wood looking good as if its constantly outside which it will be over time it will rot away.

Apart from Argos you should look up some of the larger pet stores and you might get one a bit cheaper. Also places like Woodies have a pet section so you could look there.

I would go for the first one - the resin type. Easier to clean if needed. The wooden ones look lovely but you need to treat them every so often to keep the wood looking good as if its constantly outside which it will be over time it will rot away.

Many thanks Steph, that's exactly my worry about the wooden kennel - it looks great, but I don't think the person who'd be getting it would really be able to maintain it (ie elderly man, not mobile). Might go for the plastic one so, thanks again.

The plastic yoke wouldn't be as attractive for a dog as the second wooden one which also has a roof which opens back on hinges allowing any cleaning/maintenance, removing old bedding etc. The wooden kennel is also less environmentally destructive, will weather to fit into the garden visually, is raised off the ground so will be warmer/dryer for the animal.........its a no-brainer, really! The second one!

Id go for the second one too..except get one with a sloped roof for the rain to run off...imo dogs dont like the smell or the sounds the plastic ones make! Wooden one looks nicer too..

I saw gorgeous little (tiny) kennels in woodies today. I didn't look at the prices tho! They were wooden and had a slanted roof and came in a few different sizes. I don't think they have them in all the stores but this was in the HUGE one in tallaght. I would agree that dogs defo don't like the sound of rain etc on plastic over their heads! Mine's a lil fusspot anyway!

There's very little insulation in any resin pet kennels I've seen (gave mine away for this reason - too cold!). Also 6kg is very light - it may not stay upright in windy conditions.

Thanks everyone for the opinions/advice, much appreciated. I was very tempted by the plastic kennel because I felt it would be maintenance-free for the owner and would be completely waterproof, but I just worried that it would be too light and would disappear in to the heavens in our first mini-storm. So I went for the wooden kennel in the end - it's not ideal because of the flat roof (the smallest non-flat roof one I could see was just too big) but we'll see if we can do something with it. Thanks again, I hope this dog appreciates the research that went in to his outdoor home!

I recently got a kennel for our dog who is just under 4 months old & he shows his appreciation for this by trying to eat it