looking for a typical executive saloon and reliability, fuel costs and comfort?

T

TIN-MAN

Hi folks,

I would really like your input as I don’t know a hell of a lot about cars other than how to drive them. I have 40k to spend won't be needing to trade in.

I’m looking for a typical executive saloon and reliability, fuel costs and comfort is the key. Will be doing about 25000 km a year.

l have 2 cars in mind the new Ford Mondeo TDCi 2.0 litre or a 2nd hand 04 mercedes E-320 cdi Avantgarde Auto

Please let me hear your opinions! I'm looking to purchase sometime after xmas.

Many Thanks

TIN-MAN

For reliability - I would go with the Mondeo. Ford cars over the last 10 years have been up with the Japanese for reliability. Though the mondeo is a new model it should continue this trend.
Mercedes on the other hand have had a terrible reputation over the last 10 years and are only now getting back on track with build quality.

BTW - Next July the Mondeo VRT goes from 30% to 20% and the annual road tax halves.

Hi
You should look at bringing Audi A6 in from England. Did this and have fantastic car with great spec. Check www.audi.co.uk and click on used cars and you should be able to find a 18 mths-2 years old 2.0 TDI for around £20K Which will work out at about 40k euros after VRT is paid and you have irish plates. Remember if you are buying with cash you should be able to bargain 1-2k off list price. Cars are all audi approved and are being sold by main dealers so no del boy characters involved.

Hi
You should look at bringing Audi A6 in from England. Did this and have fantastic car with great spec. Check www.audi.co.uk and click on used cars and you should be able to find a 18 mths-2 years old 2.0 TDI for around £20K Which will work out at about 40k euros after VRT is paid and you have irish plates. .

You would still have a 18 - 24 month secondhand car that cost you about 40k secondhand. Not great value I think.

Whilst the others may be correct about the cars, keep in mind depreciation on the Ford if buying new.

Depreciation, which can be the highest cost in owning a car, is all about market perception, and a Merc will always be seen as a better buy, even if there's no logic to it.

Depreciation applies to all cars. Even Mercs and other high end vehicles.

Trouble is that some of these cars are really very expensive, so even a relatively low rate of depreciation will still hurt when you come to move on.

Mondeo is a good bet I reckon. It's relatively inexpensive to begin with. 2.0 Zetec TDCI is the best choice.

Hi
You should look at bringing Audi A6 in from England. Did this and have fantastic car with great spec. Check www.audi.co.uk and click on used cars and you should be able to find a 18 mths-2 years old 2.0 TDI for around £20K Which will work out at about 40k euros after VRT is paid and you have irish plates. Remember if you are buying with cash you should be able to bargain 1-2k off list price. Cars are all audi approved and are being sold by main dealers so no del boy characters involved.

How are Audi on reliability and cost of repairs in the surveys etc.

Service-costs for the Audi A6 saloon range from £836 over 3 years for the 2.0T FSI SE 4 door to £982 over 3 eyars for the 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro S. I recommend you get the January issue of "What Car?" which lists every car currently on sale - and some vintage - under every conceivable category including contract-hire per month, CO2 emissions, carbon-offset costs, service costs, insurance group, retained value, average MPG. The magazine is very clearly set out to enable comparison across makes and models. At the back there is a "What your car is worth?" which gives tables from which you can work out the exact resale value of vehicles back to 2004 (53 plate). The magazine costs about 15 euro and is informative on every level.

The new mondeo is nice but I would not class it as an exec. saloon - it fits more with standard company car, reps or family saloon.

Exex saloons would be more like A6/A8, Saab 93/95, Accord 2.2ltr.
E class mercs don't do it for me at all... the CL or CLS class mercs are the more stylish

520d SE might be worth a look, your budget would probably get a 05 model,have a look on carzone for ideas.

Back