Looking for a Microphone for Recording VO on Home Computer

Locke

Hi.

Need a bit of adivce.

Looking to buy a Microphone that would be good for doing Voice Overs (It would be for a Home Computer and for an animation)

Anyone advise what one I should get, where I can get it? Need something that would be of great quality.

Thanks a mill
Locke

Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into? :)

Speaking as a (ahem) recording artist who does everything via PC, the choices/quality/suitability is bewildering.

You say 'great quality' - do you have a budget in mind?

Great quality is relative and can mean anything from €100 to €5000

A lot of people seem to go for the Rode NT100 for voice overs - I think it's about €300. For a really pro recording Neumann mics are great - at about 5 times the price. Having said that, many make do with a Shure SM58 - about €100.

A lot of factors to consider like recording environment/background noise, pure accurate voice replication VS 'warmth' and added richness of tone etc

Thanks Caveat.

I'm not planning on releasing any records or getting any oscars for sound, I'll say that first.

Looking for something to put a voice over of a 30 Stanza Poem against the animated story, with my own music in the background (Piano). Basically something that will be clear and sound somewhat professional on DVD.

Thanks for the tips on above. I'll have a gander.

It's purely as a hobby, not commercial and will be seen by few. Except might put it on my website.

OK, well broadly speaking, condenser mics are the higher quality studio ones for crystal clear vocals and accuracy - but they are often the expensive ones. Cheap condenser mics exist but they can be poor.

Dynamic mics (like the above mentioned Shure)are generally used live but if you are not too fussy, could be absolutely fine for what you want.

Decent music shops should be able to advise.

Back