Looking for a hotel in Munich

europhile

I'm looking for a hotel in Munich in November for five nights. Any recommendations? I'm unfamiliar with the city but would want somewhere near restaurants, etc, not nowhere honky tonk/Temple Bar-ish.

Do a search in this forum for hotel & munich and you should get some details. I was looking for similar information at the start of the year and got a good few responses. We stayed in a hotel called (I think) the Royal. I think I wrote it up in the original thread. There are a whole load of what look like reasonable small hotels around the main train station (hauptbahnhof). Certainly the one we stayed in was clean, popular, had a good breakfast, somewhat non-descript, fully functional.

z

Hi Europhile,

I work in Munich most weeks so I've sampled the hotels! I generally try to stay in the Hilton Munich City. It's in a great location - with a lift in the hotel down to the S-bahn station and only two stops into Marianplatz, one of the main shopping/restaurant areas. It can be pricey and full so try to book well in advance. The Holiday Inn Munich City is quite basic but is at the same S-bahn station as the Hilton Munich City so is very convenient and more reasonably priced.
I've also stayed in Le Meridien. A lovely hotel which across the road from the Hauptbanhof - again a convenient location. It is fairly new (so far as I'm aware) so can be quite competitive on price.
The Hilton Munich Park is very nice but not as convenient as the first two. I've also stayed in the Sheraton Arabellapark Grand Hotel and the Sheraton Bogenhausen. They are across the road from each other. The Grand Hotel is much nicer but the location isn't as good - you have to get a U-bahn (not as reliable as the S-bhan and ends at 8.30pm in this area).

I think I've probably ruled out more hotels than I've ruled in - try for the Munich Hilton City if you can at all. Try to get a map of the S-bahn routes and aim for a hotel within easy walking distance of a station.

Any other questions let me know and I'll try to help. Munich is a lovely city!

Triona

Last few times I've been, I've stayed at the Dorint Novotel in the city centre. Very nice new with great restaurant and spa. It's located around the corner from Rosenheimer Platz S-bahn station. From the airport, you can take either the S1 or the S8 trains to this station for about €9 (train station is one or two floors down from arrivals hall - trip takes under an hour but better than a cab).

It's only two or three stops to get to Marienplatz S-Bahn and like Triona says, S-bahns are very reliable, running every 2 mins. Enjoy your trip!

See:
http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archiv/objects/download/1/vlp_060705stadt.pdf Train map
http://www.novotel.com/novotel/fichehotel/gb/nov/3280/fiche_hotel.shtml Novotel at Rosenheimer

Back