Looking for a granite countertop?

barry75

Hi All,
anyone recommend where we can buy a granite countertop at a good price.The countertop we have in mind would be a cream in colour to match up with a walnut kitchen,Thanks in advance
Barry

Have you considered some of the new Plastic worktops, (In House or B & Q). They look beautiful, can take a fair bit of wear and tear and will leave a lot of change in your pocket. We did one kitchen in this type and another in a very fancy African natural timber -- looks fantastic but what a headache getting it right.

Hi Mercman,thanks for the reply ,but herself seems to be set on granite for the countertop,got a crazy quote from one place so far.

Well if herself is hellbent in empying your wallet, travel down the country where granite worktops are significantly cheaper than Dublin. Try Connemara Marble in Recess, Co.Galway for a price or there is a place in Claremorris that are competitive

Hi All,
anyone recommend where we can buy a granite countertop at a good price.The countertop we have in mind would be a cream in colour to match up with a walnut kitchen,Thanks in advance
Barry

Don't know where you are located, but try for a quote here, [broken link removed]

I know nothing about them other than they came out first in a google search.

We have just had a granite worktop fitted by [broken link removed] who are based in Co Galway. The service was excellent and we are happy with the worktop, they came and took a template of the kitchen/hob and discussed everything including where the joins would be etc. etc. The price was very competitive and included sink and taps (Franke).

I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
you wont beat comer granite in corofin. is the same people as comment for Galwaygirl above.

if you are in or around the six counties you could try maghera granite in derry no connection except they fitted mine

Thanks for all the replys everyone,we are based in galway,and the only place we have tried so far was a place in Claremorris through the Kitchen company.Was quoted 4990 for a standard size kitchen an island,seems a bit high?Thought be in the region of 3000 to 3500.Going to check out the place in Corofin

Can you let me know if you do better, looking as well and quote is 5k. might take a trip to corofin based on previous posts, will let you know if I find better as well

Think hard before you pay big money for granite. It is expensive, cold to the touch, a big glass and crockery breaker, gets dull and needs polishing to keep looking good and some colours never look clean.

We had it once and never again. Better to save thousands and get one of the new type laminated finishes and you can change for small money every few years if you want.

Alternatively if you really want to spend big money a synthetic resin such as Corian or any of the lookalikes which are truly seamless even down to the sink being part of the worktop structure. Also they are warm to the touch and polish up brilliantly.

Last edited:
We have granite for just over 7 years now and we love it - put items direct from oven on it. we haven't broken anything on it yet and just clean with regular w-up liq and water, and sometimes a little vinegar. One advice - don't get black, they're a curse to clean - get a nice speckled hen type one doesn't show up water marks.