Looking for a Dvd camcorder - what type?

witchymand

Hi, please please please could you advise me.
I am interested in buying a camcorder, is there such a camcorder that actually records directly within the camera onto a dvd disc, so you can you just then put the disc into the dvd player and play it instantly.
I don't really understand what mini dv means, I really just want one that has no hassle to it and just records instantly onto a normal dvd disc.
Many thanks in advance for advice.
thank you.

Yes there are. Both Sony and Hitachi do them (lots listed on Amazon.com if you go there you'll see descriptions). I think there are some issues with these types of DVDs not being able to be played on all types of DVD player though.

Do a search for 'camcorder' and you'll find some relevant threads. Unfortunately, you can't search for DVD camcorder, as search terms must be at least 4 characters long.

My sister recently bought one of these; most of the big manufacturers like Sony and JVC have them now. The particular model my sister got was a and I have to say the picture quality is excellent. It's v. easy to use just hit record when you want, when the disc is full you finalise it (to allow it to be played in a regular DVD player) and thats it!

There is some issue with playing the recorded DVDs in some older players, but this depends on the model - my sisters one won't play in some older Sony models for example.

Mini-DV is just another tape format (albeit a digital one) similar to Hi-8 or VHS.

HTH

S.

P.S. My local electrial retailer has some of these types of camera in stock, why not go into yours and ask for a demo?

you could get one of the new JVC Everio models that record onto a 20gb hard disc - but I've heard the battery only lasts an hour..