Looking for a Builder

D

DannyC

I know its an often asked question on AAM, but can anyone recommend a builder.

I have asked about a Dozen builders to Quote, supplying them with Plans, basic spec, etc, and the only ones to come back are either the Larger reputable builders who quote astronomical prices, or builders who are not that pushed if they get it or not, who also quote huge prices as a outside bet. They're not pushed if they get the job or not, and never follow up on quotes. The rest of the builders contacted have still to get back to me, and I've been chasing some of them for over 3 months now, just for a rough price.

I have read thru previous posts, and I'm considering selfbuild, or even trying to get in a foreign crew, managed by a local consultant.

The extension is a reasonably sized piece of work in the D14 area. Remove garage to side and replace with full length two storey extension. The current house has also to be rewired, replumbed, new floors thruout (to replace lowdensity chipboard installed in the 70s). We're looking to replace the boiler as we want to convert to Gas, and we were also thinking of converting the Attic while we were at it.Planning has been approved, and we're ready to go... but can wait for the right builder at the right price.

I was thinking of perhaps scaling back the initial requirement to Foundations, blockwork, Roof and basic carpentry work and windows, to see if this would be a better offer to get builders interested.

All comments and recommendations appreciated.

on a slight aside, we are doing something similar and was wondering what price range the quotes were coming in at. we are not quite at the planning stage, but was trying to get a feal for the likely cost of the said extension as it is similar to what we are thinking about.

I was listening to "The Last Word" last night and Matt was having a discussion about the building trade.

He had some guy on that was promoting his website which allowed customers to enter a description of the job they needed done and the site then mails back quotes from available and qualified people.

I have been trying to remember the website but can't - but if anyone else can remember it or find it it could be of some use to people.

Can't recommend any builders, but you might find a few via [broken link removed]
Leo

thanks EFM and 16024, Tried Online tradesmen, will let you know what they come back with.

Cloughy, I was hoping to get everything, including all contingiencies, for approx 140k. But all estmates so far have been 200k+. How does that compare to your job desc/estimates recieved.

I've recommended Sheerin Construction (087 6810427) before and I'll recommend them again. They did great work on the renovations on my house that were beyond me and I'm confident they'll do just as good a job on the single storey extension that will be starting soon.

Back