Looking for a builder- what should I ask him?

True Syd,
Im a QS and have priced some jobs for mates and almost always end up wrong. It is risky pricing a job yourself without builders quotes, some builders will have good/cheap blocklayer but might be dear in roof etc.
Getting the QS to do up a Bill OF Quantities (not priced) should be the first step and is a very useful tool for the duration of the job

Thanks guys!

I will definitely get a Bill of Quantities done up so.

Should the QS ask me all the questions that he needs to know answers for or will he (like my architect) assume he knows the answer to them? For example, underfloor heating, double architraves, electric gates, knickers hanger in my walkin wardrobe and the like? If he needs to know everything, should I expect to sit down with him for hours with HIM ASKING ME the questions rather than me trying to know what I should tell him?

Cheers!

it should not be him asking you.. it should be you telling him, and by means of a written list..... all those you have mentioned are what may be considered above and beyond the standard, and so need to be included.... when the qs sees the list it may lead to more questions ,....

a lot will depend on the level of information on the drawng and spec that the architect has done up Which in turns depends on the level of information you have given the Architect.
On a normal building job the 'pre-tender' stage can take months even years, its natural process. The more you tell the QS the more detailed your proce will be. But he is not a mind reader so if you have 'fancy' ideas in your head tell him (or her!)

Our job is just at the stage of going out to builders for quotes, we have detailed drawings done by an architect (for planning) and engineer (for the detailed spec). The architect's qs is giving us a cost breakdown as well. Just wondering what sort of agreement we should have with the builder, its been suggested that we get him to sign the drawings as well as a letter of offer, detailing insurance, total cost etc, duration. But should there be a legal contract as well and what happens if he doesnt adhere to the spec? How can the 'agreement' be enforced?