Looking at aeroboard type coving

dodo

In B and Q seen aeroboard type coving thta can be painted do they look ok and also seen the plastic type any ideas or would you stick with the old more expensive type thanks

dodo said:
In B and Q seen aeroboard type coving thta can be painted do they look ok and also seen the plastic type any ideas or would you stick with the old more expensive type thanks

Aeroboard coving is terribly cheap looking and very brittle stick with the paperbacked plaster board coving it way cheaper than the solid plaster coving and looks exactly the same when hung and painted.

http://www.diydata.com/decorating/coving/coving_cornice.htm

Good Luck

ok no aero can u buy the paperback plaster in b and Q or similar

dodo said:
ok no aero can u buy the paperback plaster in b and Q or similar

They tend to sell it in packets of 5/6 lengths and are dearer than builders providers however you can purchase it for around 3 euros a length from a builders providers such as Buckleys or Brooks.

Good Luck

Is this "paperback" plasterboard coving a lot easier to hang than the 'real' coving? I want to put up coving, but from reading the internet there seems to be a lot involved (preparation, adhesive, nails etc). But am I right in assuming that what you mean by "paperback" plasterboard is that it is self-sticking (ie you remove the paper at the back and stick it up)? If that's the case, then that sounds a lot less hassle than the real thing. As I am a middle aged female, who doesn't want a lot of hassle, the easier the better, so I would appreciate if someone would clarify this for me. Thanks.

I've used "Covemaster" paper-covered polystyrene coving extensively over the past few years and am happy with it. Not heavy to work with, can be cut with a stanley knife, no nails needed (coving adhesive applied to the back of the coving does the job) and you can buy ready-cut corners to take the hassle of getting the angles right. Once painted (with emulsion), it looks fine. One tip, the coving needs about 4 coats of paint (minimum), & I found it much easier to paint the lengths before fixing them to the wall. Only needed to paint one coat when in situ. Available in packs of 6 x 2m lengths and 2 widths (100mm and 127mm).

Hey Dodo!
The aeroboard coving looks exactly as it costs - cheap. It also dents easily. You are talking quite small money with the real thing. Just get your cuts and joints right.