Long weekend in Barcelona

PADDYBOY99

Hello,
I am planing a long weekend some time in early summer/late spring. However there seems to be a choice of hotels and areas to stay in. I am looking for recommendations for hotels and districts that are near the beach, marina and tourist areas of Barcelona. Somewhere I can avoid having to take too many taxi's. Any help would be appreciated?

Try Silken Gran Havana - close to all touristy things and about fifteen minutes walk to beach. Really nice Gaudi inspired hotel, only drawback - breakfast is a bit expensive, but you could eat out in more reasonably priced restaurants locally. There is a pool on the roof.

It really depends on what part of Barcelona most appeals to you. I stayed beside the park de la cuitadela, found this area perfect as the gothic quarter is on one side (I prefer this area to the nineteenth century area and did most of my wandering around and sipping glasses of wine here), the beach is quite near too and the park itself is quite nice to walk around. Some people prefer being on or near La Rambla, not my cup of tea tho!

If you have a look at the apartmentsapart.com website, they have some fabulous apartments reasonably priced and close to Las Ramblas, the beach and pick up for the buses to the tourist attractions. Caution though - beware of pickpockets. got hit twice and was only there for a long weekend too

Last edited:
It really depends on what part of Barcelona most appeals to you. I stayed beside the park de la cuitadela, found this area perfect as the gothic quarter is on one side (I prefer this area to the nineteenth century area and did most of my wandering around and sipping glasses of wine here), the beach is quite near too and the park itself is quite nice to walk around. Some people prefer being on or near La Rambla, not my cup of tea tho!
Hello Silly billy why would you not recommend La rambla?

Las Ramblas (sorry!) was just not my thing. Agree with ubiquitous about it being a tourist trap and for me it completely lacked the charm of other parts of the city, I walked down it once to see it and avoided it after that. Having said that my mother loved the carnival atmosphere (her description) and I know of others who specifically hunt for accomodation near it.... Different strokes... We never used taxis, walked most places, used the metro a few times, oh and the open top bus tour is a must!

Try Silken Gran Havana - close to all touristy things and about fifteen minutes walk to beach. Really nice Gaudi inspired hotel, only drawback - breakfast is a bit expensive, but you could eat out in more reasonably priced restaurants locally. There is a pool on the roof.
I checked out this hotel. Its quiets expensive. Is there any further hotel recommendations?

Hello Silly billy why would you not recommend La rambla?

Think of O'Connell Street with restaurant tables on the central strip, flowers and tac sellers and not much else. I would walk a mile extra to avoid passing through it. More atmosphere on Main Street, Anytown, Ireland of a Sunday morning.

I checked out this hotel. Its quiets expensive. Is there any further hotel recommendations?

Stayed in Apsis Splendid Hotel near University Plaza (bus from Airport stops there) and it was fine for a 3 star. Safe and some nice bars in that area. Not convenient for the beach. Taxis are very cheap really and there are plenty of them.

Ive stayed here, and its very clean and reasonable as well as good location.

I'll second this place ... great, very central... only downside is some (but not all) of the rooms are tiny and I mean tiny - possibly the smallest double rooms I've ever seen.

Other rooms are average hotel room sized .. all rooms and the hotel in general very smartly decorated and a fab location 2 mins walk from Pl Catalunya

Booked hotel Barcelona Universal Hotel. Has anyone stayed there? It ticks all the boxes as regards location etc and not too badly priced when I saw what some of them were asking for per room.

Back