Long Weekend Away - Any Suggestions?

Happy Girl

Planning a weekend away with Mr. Happy (without children) going on a Fri and returning on a Tues. Any suggestions. One thing is that I am terrified of flying so it would have to be a relatively short flight 2-2half hrs max.

If you're going away without the kids then obviously the only place I can recommend in Paris ;) .....then he'll be Mr. Very Happy!!!

Firefly.

Why not avoid flying altogether? There are some lovely places in Ireland you could go to for a weekend away. Galway, Kerry, Donegal, Wexford. Belfast is great craic as well.

I would recommend Edinburgh its only 45mins by Plane - I have been numerous times and absolutely love the place! Great pubs and nightclubs if that’s your scene, there are loads of good restaurants, great for shopping and the scenery is beautiful (castle and princess street gardens). I have stayed at the following hotel Apex they have three hotels in Edinburgh two are in the city centre Grassmarket area (old town / royal mile area), I stayed in the Apex City but the Apex International just up the road has a leisure centre both have views of the castle. Myself and the bf recently stayed at the Royal Mile apartments located on the royal mile it was lovely and included a kitchen / dining room, sitting room etc. We went for 5 days and didn’t fancy being stuck in a hotel room, so we booked the apartment the only thing to be aware of is there is no lift and can be a little noisy in the morning (weekdays). You have to collect your key from the booking office, which is just located around the corner from the apartments it is all explained when booking. There are loads of hotels for all types of budget. Here is a link to the Edinburgh tourist board website if you need more info.

Rennes in Brittany France. Great train and bus station located in city centre to bring you on a day trip to Dinan or St.Malo for a few €. One hour 10 minutes in the air. Train from airport in to the centre. Lots of nice bars, restaurants, Crepes etc

Brussels is a lovely city; only about 1:20 hrs flying from Dublin. Aer Lingus fly to Brussels International which is only a short hop to the city, Ryanair fly to Charleroi which is about an hour away by bus.

City centre is quite compact and everything is within easy walking distance. Architecture is stunning. And of course there is the beer!!!!!!

Lisbon is a fab place for a long weekend - plenty to see/do and very reasonably priced

Otherwise, Brussels, Barcelona, Nice???

Try Biarritz and the surrounding area - flights from Shannon & Dublin, about 1 3/4 hours, nice 15 min bus ride into city centre. Hire a car and drive into the country to see some beautiful Basque villages. Plenty of beaches along the coast for swimming. Hotels can be reasonable, even in Biarritz.

I second Barcelona! Taxi less than 30 Euro into city centre or take train. Lovely restaurants and lots to do in regards to sightseeing!

Back