long stay nursing home bed

coleen

an eldery relative has just got a public bed in a long stay ward in a hospital her family have been asked to bring in her pension book and 120 euro will be taken out of it i thought this practice had been abolished and was surprised can anyone advise on this

The real cost of nursing home care in the Dublin area is approx 800-1000 per week, the €120 euro is a contribution towards the total cost. As far as I know the person keeps their pension book or family member if person is not able to manage their financial affairs, then the Nursing home section in the HSE sends out a form asking which way you want to pay the €120 either direct debit, cheque etc, but they do not take the pension book away from the person, they used to do that but not any more, is it the hospital looking for the pension book or the HSE?

Cara Mc K

coleen said:
i thought this practice had been abolished and was surprised can anyone advise on this

The practice of illegally charging people for long-stay care in public institutions has been abolished. However, The Health Amendment Act 2005 (pdf) and the Health (Charges for In-Patient Services) Regulations 2005 addresses the issue of charges for long-term institutional care.

In the past, those in long-term institutional care were expected to pay almost all their income when paying for institutional care in a public institution.

Now, the Health (Charges for In-Patient Services) Regulations 2005 provide for different charging arrangements depending on the level of nursing care being provided. The maximum charge for anyone in public long-stay care is 120 euro per week and everyone must have at least 35 euro left as pocket money.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to post again.

CMCR

Back